• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trains can’t be built for winter, says expert

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trains can’t be built for winter, says expert

Really they cant wow what a crock of shit.
    Harsh winter is a fact of life in Western Canada, but farmers shouldn’t hold their breath waiting for winter-optimized grain trains, says a former railway vice-president.

Not only would winter-best trains likely be worse for the rest of the year, but railway manufacturers aren’t too interested in customizing equipment for the Prairies.

“You’ve got that wintertime effect on … 40 percent of the network for eight, 10, 12 weeks, but you want hard, wear-resistant rail across the entire network for 12 months of the year,” said Paul Miller, who is now “railroader-in-residence” at the University of Alberta.

“You’ve got to find that balance.”

It might seem like a no-brainer for Canada’s rail lines, hopper cars and locomotives to be designed to deal with temperatures that fall below -25 C a few times each winter. It’s a sentiment that farmers, grain companies and exporters often express when rail transportation begins having major problems when those conditions appear.

However, Miller said that the grain industry is one of the toughest rail-reliant industries for which to achieve rail optimization. Unlike potash, coal and sulfur, which can operate regular shipments throughout the year, grain shipments ebb and flow through the year on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border.

It means that specially designated trains, in which rail cars and locomotives are kept together permanently, virtually don’t exist in the grain industry. Even in the United States, where shuttle trains of dedicated locomotives and cars operate regularly in the grain industry, they run that way only for a few months at a time. Then the locomotives and cars are broken up and sent to places that have more demand for them.

As a result, locomotive and car owners need equipment that is interchangeable across the North American network, which means it can’t be easily customized.

For example, Miller said air brakes begin to work poorly at below -25 C. Electronically controlled pneumatic (ECP) brakes are an excellent replacement, but they can’t be installed in locomotives and hoppers that will later need to be mixed with non-ECP trains.

“Any constraint you put on translates very quickly to a reduction in capacity,” said Miller.

The same goes for the steel wheels on which cars and locomotives rely. Anything that makes them tougher in the deepest cold is likely to work worse during the rest of the year.

Even if Canadian railways wanted to optimize their rail lines, locomotives and cars for winter, they might not be able to buy any.

North America has only two locomotive manufacturers and few car builders, and they produce standard vehicles for all conditions. They probably aren’t interested in producing customized machines for specific conditions.

That means Western Canada’s grain industry, which includes the railways, must rely on steady incremental improvements in performance rather than breakthrough inventions that could dramatically improve the system.

Look, I have no idea how trains work but if air supply for brakes is a problem couldn't they have a compressor car half way to maintain pressure.

Comment

Well I guess we'll just have to fill containers that can be hoisted by a fleet of zepplins and freighted through the air. Inland loading could bypass expensive port facilities.

Really though, I've never seen an industry that simply throws up it's hands like the rail industry. Much of the rest of the world is searching for technology for new efficiency. North American rail is stuck way back in the mid 20 the century.

Time for Ackman's puppet (Harrison) to upgrade those Tandy computers.

Comment

How do trains run in Russia or Northern Europe through the Swiss Alps etc. What a crock of shit.

Comment

all the semi trucks have air brakes , our short line locomotive has air brakes, they all run all winter ?? just shows their lack of interest , plain and simple

Comment

The railroad companies seem to provide the worst and least service possible to keep their demand high. (Works with a duopoly)
            I find this paragraph to be strange, considering we could be talking about a several thousand unit production run.

"North America has only two locomotive manufacturers and few car builders, and they produce standard vehicles for all conditions. They probably aren’t interested in producing customized machines for specific conditions."

Comment

Rally half of north America has snow in winter.
              But they only build one type of car and engine. Really.

Comment

On the lighter side, we're colder than northern europe and russia.We're the same latitude as siberia. A little global warming wouldn't hurt us lol. But i agree, the RR's can do better.

Comment

Have you ever tried to communicate with railways? Try that on for size. Its ridiculous! Archaic is not the word I would like to use. Those words would get me banned from this site.

Comment

Degelman brandt and others have made good money designing and building equipment customized for the prairies.

I think Brandt has some experience in railroading. Didn't they build that converted semi tractor unit?

Not sure why anyone wouldn't want a piece of building railcars for 130000 a car?

This is getting stupid where industries like the two railways can say they don't have to accommodate our customer needs. Not just because of the customer but the country as a whole?

Comment

And a "FREE" market allows a duopoly to dictate to all customers and our elected officials. They are gods, immune from laws. If they had cold specific iron, our costs would double!
                      I think rail transportation is TOO important to be in the hands of business. What are European railroads, public or private and wonder what their regulations are like? Anyone know?

Comment

I just had dumb thought. After recalling a couple evenings spent over cocktails with a CP VP. An American who had worked in Prince George for some years.
                        I wonder if their isn't a lot of ignorance about how a train works? A railroad would be an obstinate company to change. But education on how a train works might go a long way to educate the railroads customers.
                        Challenging grower orgs. to arrange info tours etc. reminded of certain CIGI or _ _ _ tours/workshops. Didn't save the _ _ _, but it opened my eyes a little.
                        Learn, don't guess.

Comment

Well then, do you "think" it's as big a hurdle as they claim?

Comment

Maybe they should bring back the "Steam Engines" for the winter months?

Comment

its no different than how much more work it is for us to get our grain hauled in winter , just a fact of life on the prairies . i also work a little in the patch in winter months . its twice as much work when its -40 , but we get the job done . as long as our govt is catering to railroads or vice versa , not sure ? nothings going to change . this particular government sure is scared of them , thats all i know. what other kind of business wioud not know where their cars or people are at any given time ? like cars not showing up ? what a joke ,they should know where every car is at every minute , what an arrogant bunch . maybe this is why they have several derailments every year

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...