• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst trade of the year

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst trade of the year

What was your worst trade of the year. Every trader has one(or more). Could be good therapy to discuss.

A paperclip for a marble.

Comment

I would say my worst trade or grain marketing decision, this crop year, would be deciding to sell 20% of the durum crop for $7 for a 3 no protein spec in August.

This was just before the deluge of rain to hit the south and wipeout most of the durum quality in the south.

We maintained some semblance of quality and are going to move it to the US, but wish I had those tonnes back.

Best of the year was selling 25% of the canola at $11.81 for November delivery, that they took in harvest.

Comment

long minny short Chicago wheat spread.
        Dunno what I was thinking...short crop, quality/quantity issues grew thru season?,late harvest prospects, 87 cent dollar, improving basis...

Comment

I'm short 25 march 425 calls that refuse to get back in the money enough to cover. But I did buy some Jan @ 428 and sold some 435 calls on them @$5 on Friday, they expire next Friday 5 days. Worst case I make $12, best case they expire worthless and I can play them again for another $12. Some patience would have got me $8 for those calls.

Comment

Missing bitcoin,missing 3d printers,out of the 1 year time frame though.

Comment

Cotton, keep an eye on 3-D scanners, I don't think they've popes yet. Immunotherapy cancer drugs and new antibiotics are showing promises too.

Comment

I agree,just scared they moved to much already,fear is a bitch of an emotion.

Comment

Mbdog, I llike that spread as well...should work...was long cattle/short hogs at 6 cents...made money but got out much too early...funny how a profit can still make you feel like you've lost....admitting you have made a mistake is the sign of a mature trader....novice traders don't make mistakes (or admit to it).

Comment

mcdon...ya stills smarts that one...paper and physical. Lost interest in the trade when basis did what it did. Knew I was doomed.... Screwed up the roll to march....its was just all bad
                    Small consolation was after farmers had to get out, torpedoed wheats made some pretty solid/vertical gains when it was still kinda liquid.
                    Think that spread plays yet. Once bitten twice shy.

Comment

A marble for a paper clip. I need all my marbles! Sigh!

Comment

On my TD account I used to transfer CDN dollars to US every time we got over par. Missed this time, am kicking myself. Missed opportunity, when will that ever happen again?

Comment

Not selling the Farm in 2014. Have to wait now till I am 85. Ah next life!

Comment

Would have you had to list it or were you made an offer you turned down?

Comment

turned down! as part of a package!
                              Could have moved to Kamsack or Canora closer to the lake!
                              Ah farming what a fun ride it is!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...