• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CGC Grades and Blending

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still waiting to hear from anyone who has recently used dispute settlement mechanism.
    A credit to grain companies if nobody has.
    Bill C48 to modernize Canada Grain Act would allow grain commission to administer a Producer Compensation Fund to protect producers in event licensee refuses to pay.
    Would also extend right of producer to seek binding arbitration of grade and dockage on deliveries to processing facilities, grain dealers and container loading elevators.
    Can remember pinnacle of wheat board and wheat pool power when we last used grain commission for dispute settlement.

Comment

I wouldn't lay too much honor at the feet of the GrainCos. The fact that there is a watchdog in place and some sort of dispute settlement mechanism available would tend to keep them somewhat in line. Just like common people, the threat of the law and police keeps most from becoming theives but some people are still willing to take the chance or know how far they can bend the rules.

Besides, now they don't have to steal value with
      misgrading and taking too much dockage, they can do it the legal way with "basis".

Comment

Think it works both ways with CGC.
        Reason producers are less willing to challenge grain companies may be loss of blending benefit.
        We certainly appreciate "paper blending" for moisture, protein,green seed, etc , instead of load by load.
        As much or more to do with competition as having CGC for a watchdog.
        Not saying CGC is bad, just be careful how much power it has and conscious that someone has to pay for cost.

Comment

When I take a representative sample to the Primary Elevator that represents 20,000 bushels, they better realize an 1100 or 1500 bushel load is only a percentage of what the "representative" sample will look like when all the loads are hauled and combined. There is no such thing as paper blending in this instance. Just another guilt trip and head game they play to make you think you've been done the biggest favor ever.

Comment

Hopalong As far as grades and handling goes I haven't used dispute resolution because I know my rights and responsibilities and legal/proper grain grading and handling of my sample.

I can usually avoid disputes. I delivered CNL to an elevator that wasn't properly assessing DKG on my canola.

When I brought it to their attention, They had to phone the CGC to find out if I was right and how to properly do DKG. Why wouldn't they know, they are the ones we trust to know and do things right?

By them making 1 phone call we avoided the dispute resolution and saved me almost $2000.00 on 1 rail car of canola.

They are doing DKG on every sample wrong and nobody questions it. WHY?

I can show you lots of elev that are doing DKG wrong on every wheat sample and nobody asks for 3rd party. Or questions the elevator. In a lot of cases the employee doesn't know they are doing it wrong. And farmers don't know, so what is to resolve when nobody knows the rules?

I don't for one minute think that the front line workers or Marketers are out to screw anyone, they don't write contracts or make policy, the graders are only told what/how to do things and how to grade.

Even tho it is in the ACT and Guide on proper procedures and financial penalties if not followed, no one is enforcing them. Kinda like have speed limits and no enforcement so some people are going to speed if no consequence.

Makes me think of getting change back from cashier. Few say anything if they get too much back but bring it to their attention if they are short. Everyone has to look after their own interests. Then bring in 3rd when can't be resolved.

Comment

Blending gains going backnto producers???? Are u f@cked?

Comment

LOL BELLY LAUGH LOL BELLY LAUGH LOL.

How's that for tact, diplomacy and debonair language Bucket?

Comment

Of course blending gains go back to the producer, doesn't everybody take their samples into the elev. in fall? Don't you negotiate to blend your good quality with your poorer quality? If your wht. happens to have a characteristic that the manager would like to have doesn't he offer you a better grade? or higher protein? If not, maybe your one of these ignorant, self-centered farmers that no one cares to deal with.

Comment

I don't think its a favor when they blend your own grain for whatever reason. I deliver it and what they do with it after is their business, as long as I got what I wanted who cares if they don't even blend my two different qualities of grain. If they want to bin it separate and use it for their own purposes that's their business. I would bet they've both used my grain to improve their inventory and used their inventory to improve mine for their own benefit... their business AGAIN as long as I got what we agreed to. End of Story.

Comment

I agree. Everybody gains.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...