• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

survey shows rail movement is good in 2014

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

survey shows rail movement is good in 2014

Not a canadian survey but they did just take off a record harvest. Interesting.

Railroads have moved the huge 2014 fall harvest in a timely manner due in part to capital investments by the railroads, an extended harvest, and farmers storing a larger share of their grain, according to a survey conducted by the Soy Transportation Coalition and the University of Minnesota.While improvements are still needed, the survey released this week concluded that service so far has been better than a year ago as 70% of the surveyed grain handling facilities reported faster railroad cycle times than a year ago, 48% had no "past-due" rail orders, and 88% said storage pressure was the same, less or much less than a year ago.Harvest railroad service 'a pleasant surprise' in four-state area (CP photo)Related: Senators Lead Two-Day Conference on Ag Transport Issues"It becomes quickly evident that rail service for the 2014 harvest has thus far been a pleasant surprise," Mike Steenhoek, executive director of the Soy Transportation Coalition, said of the survey results. "There are certainly opportunities for improvement moving forward, but railroads serving this particular area of the country should be commended for their performance up to this point."The survey period ran from Nov. 21 to Dec. 5 and focused on North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Nebraska, the four states that have few transportation alternatives and were hit particularly hard by rail service problems last year. The survey is ongoing and will conclude in March.It was not all good news, about 60% of the grain facilities surveyed reported some rail service delays and diminished storage capacity in the 2014 harvest.Related: Senators Request USDA Economic Report on Rail Service ShortfallsMild harvest-time weather helped rail shipments. Rail service will continue to be monitored in the coming months when winter weather becomes more severe. A large share of last year's rail service problems was due to the frigid winter, which forced railroads to run shorter trains at slower speeds.BNSF Railway, which serves much of the survey area, hasspent billions to add track, cars, engines and crews. That apparently was evident in the survey in which respondents praised the railroad for this year's improved service."The amount of additional investment being deployed by U.S. railroads is substantial," Steenhoek said.

Do we have any such reporting of delayed rail service in canada for comparison purposes? Any upgrades to our rails to report? Any new engines. Cars. Employment? I know cn and cp are doing regular maintenance, have they done anything major?

Do americans use producer cars?

Comment

They don't have to use producer cars. They never got hoodwinked into consolidation.

There is plenty of elevators in the northern tier states.

Much like our landscape 30 years ago. Thriving and growing.

Comment

Was thinking if we included producer cars into a survey as such it would look pretty bad.

Comment

What, you don't believe our ministers when they say the railways are performing an adequate job?

Local hasn't loaded cars for a month and next week doesn't look good either.

Comment

My Offer Still Stands - 12,000 Rail Cars - $10,000 per Car - All Cash Deal - Money Will Be in Account By 1 o'clock Tomorrow, Where Do I Sign!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

BTO that only takes 4 trips to pay for? Wtf.

Car rates at 4000 per trip to vancouver minus some expenses.

Good thinking. And some guys don't like your posts.

Comment

I Know, I Know, Gotta Lotta Haters!!!!!!!!! Thats Why I Do Everything Big, and Let a Hater Watch!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

And Guys Thats a Premium to What the Cars are Actually Wort!!!!! I Will Also Personally Guarantee 3 Turns per Month, per Car, BARE MINIMUM!!!!!!!!!! I Got Yous!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cannot even buy a rusted out container for 3 grand. Thinking your abandonned rail car might need some work to put in service. Got a neighbour pretty good with a welder if interested.

Comment

The thread wss to point out that we in canada are not preparing to increase capacity. Why????? Shares are.doing great and there must be some resposibility amoung the railroads to provide service.

Comment

Cars canceled this week and none next. Is it starting again. Oh it's 5 must be to hot.

Comment

Do Yer Homework, Thats What The Cars are Wort!!!!!!!!! Guaranfukinteed Service and I Maintain The Fleet!!!!!!!!! Take The Money and Run!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that some see value in the US system where shippers bid for grain cars?
                            Goes against the philosophy of past one hundred years of entitlement to rail shipping under government regulation.

Comment

SF3 Who canceled the cars, the RR or grain co's head office? How do you find out for sure?
                              Grain Co's always say it is RR and RR say it is Grain Co's. The only thing that has changed in last 50 years is nobody can blame the CWB anymore.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...