• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB - Open Letter.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB - Open Letter.

Open Letter - December 5, 2014

Following changes to the Canadian Wheat Board Act in 2012 by the Federal Government, CWB has always stated its intention to build a strong and viable CWB in the open market. CWB wants to provide farmers with greater choice, increased competition resulting in better prices, secure access to new markets and customers, and the ability for farmers to pool their grain with a company that they know and trust.

Recently there has been some speculation and inaccuracies regarding CWB's future and our commercialization plans. We understand that CWB is in a unique position and will address some of the questions that have arisen without jeopardizing our business and putting our farmers-customers or potential investors in an unfair competitive position.

Part of our dilemma is that when the monopoly ended and CWB moved into an open market environment, CWB needed to begin to transition into the same operating conditions as that of our competition. As everyone knows other grain companies are not required to release any confidential commercial information that would disadvantage their operations.

In accordance with the Act, CWB was tasked with providing a commercialization plan to the Government by 2016 and executing on that plan by 2017. CWB has always said it intended to beat those legislated deadlines. For the past two years CWB has been building a network of assets and is on the path towards commercialization.

CWB's growth strategy requires significant capital. To that end, CWB and its professional advisors have embarked on a rigorous process of looking for a strategic partner that meets a number of criteria, including experience in grain handling, industry expertise and enough capital to continue to expand CWB's strategic network of grain-handling assets. It is also critically important that an investor support the idea of Western Canadian farmers being provided an opportunity for ownership in CWB going forward.

CWB is currently involved in a commercial process and has engaged expert advisors to assist us. At this time it is inappropriate and in fact detrimental to the process to confirm or deny which companies are interested in partnering with us until we have concluded our due diligence. However, we can say that any bids rejected to date were evaluated by CWB and our advisors using the rigorous criteria listed above. If bids were rejected it was because they did not meet the requirements.

Our objectives are to develop a strong and viable grain-handling company in Canada that can compete with the best in the business and to give farmers an opportunity to have an ownership stake. CWB is not being sold or given away. We are securing an investor to partner with farmers to ensure there is a strong and viable CWB for today and the next generation.

Dayna Spiring
    Chief Strategy Officer, CWB

And the door opens a crack.

My prediction is its privatized before October 2015!!!

Who do you think the winning choice will be?

Comment

Need capital? Issue an IPO with 2 levels of shareholders.

1. Former cwb permit book holders or registered farmers.

2. Everyone else.

Need employees just scoop them from other companies.

LDC just hired Mayo schmidt. Maybe that would be a start if you are that confused.

Comment

Which potential suitors would allow farmer participation/co-ownership? Most of the guys doing business in Canada are privately held corporations.

Comment

She is just a puppet making noise like a stupid schoolgirl.

Using ritz's talking points. It's Idiotic.

The deals done. Adm is my bet.

Comment

Bucket...you have absolutely no diplomacy. Calling her a school girl is totally uncalled for. One can choose to be a professional or sound like a backward's hillbilly...and you have spoken. With that being said:

I suggest a partner with subordinate farmer shareholders might be a unique structure as they have an immediate customer base. As a subordinate shareholder, the opportunity to get a ROI either through dividends or "coop type" patronage dividends may be a workable option. People should take off their blinders.

Comment

Yeah that's a little over the top. I'll retract my comments of my last post and rephrase it.

It's just that they are so incompetent it's hardly worth commenting on.

Just issue an IPO. How tough is it?

And what public grainco is available that won't **** farmers out of their investment?

Comment

I hope it is a new player of some sort. We don't need more industry consolidation. In a short time we'll know.

By the way, do you think they could have raised the required capital with the method bucket suggested? If I had one of their facilities or new builds on my doorstep I would considser investing, but then why does it have to be on my doorstep before I consider investing?

Would the general public be interested?

Comment

Pike managed to scoop 46 million. There are a tonne of suckers for ag investing.

But I would consider it since they are building in moose jaw. At the very least drop a few loads.

Comment

You guys are dreaming if you think you will get one penny or a single share preference from the CWB because they stole grain for 75 years. I'm afraid the theft isn't quite over just yet.

Comment

http://www.adm.com/en-US/company/Pages/default.aspx

From ADM's website under "Procurement":

Strategic SourcingADM’s North American strategic sourcing team plays an integral role in ADM's objective to reduce costs and increase shareholder
                      value.  The team identifies and selects contractors and suppliers who can provide the best value to ADM as measured through quality, price and service.  The team works with regional, national and international contractors and suppliers to serve

Sounds like the RRs. Better invest.

ADM facilities both locally and around the world

Comment

Sorry for the disjointed post. The last few words in the post belong with the procurement statement.

My bad.

Comment

What about the Producers who delivered to the New CWB and were told $5/tonne would go to an equity stake in the privatized company, whatever that will look like?

Comment

The same as they when it was done with equity in the swp.

It's a feel good thing. Really.

Comment

Mulroney is the connection to ADM. I think he sits or sat on their board.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...