• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm accident

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm accident

This little girl was killed in a farm accident here just before school started. She was riding in a cab tractor with her father as most of have probably done when it hit a hidden bump in the grass and she fell into the door hard enough to pop it open and go under the rear wheel before her father could react. They're REAL close to winning this thing.

http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf19494

On August 29, the Hastings farm community lost this beautiful little girl, Emily Ireland Trudeau.

http://yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obituary.asp?oid=824180 . Emily and her family are generational members of the OFA.

Emily’s uncle, Shawn Trudeau says:

“Emily Trudeau loved to farm. Emily was "Farm girl strong." I can honestly say I have never met a young girl who was more interested in farming than Emily. Not too many 7yr old girls can say they helped their father deliver a new born calf.”
    “We live in the small rural community of Tweed. The loss of Emily not only affected our family, it affected the entire community. Words cannot express how empty and hurt the community was. Several of us decided we need to create something that would honour Emily's memory, help our family and the community heal, and that could be enjoyed by everyone in the community. We felt building a splash pad would be the perfect way to achieve all of this.
    Our goal is to build a splash pad in memory of Emily for the summer of 2015. The total cost of the splash pad is approximately $300,000.”

To honour Emily's memory,

The Tweed community is building the Emily Trudeau Splash Pad. They are raising funds in a few ways, including the Aviva Community Fund contest. Please go to the site and vote for Emily's Splash Pad: http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf19494
    Please vote every day from the 01st to the 10th of December.
    Anyone wishing to donate to the Emily Trudeau Splash Pad can do so at any CIBC bank. Transit # 03342. Account #08-16132.

How is this preventable?

They put buddy seats in mfwd tractors.

Door wasn't latched well enough?

Very sad.

Comment

Seat belts or no kids in cab! Same sad result when combine windows fall out!

Comment

My tractors have no seats or seatbelts in the cab for the kids. So how does one teach your children? Most of what I learned about manouvering, driving a tractor, I learned from the arm rest beside my dad at a very young age.

So for that reason, I am very unsure what the answer is. I want my kids trained well. I want my kids riding with me if they wish.

But I do not want them to die.

So what does one do, honestly?

VERY sorry for this, and all the other families of such tragedy.

Maybe even a dang rope?

Comment

Good lord thats a horrible story,i know i wouldnt be strong enough to handle something like that,i'd be gone a few minutes later.

Can i ask what a splash pad is?

Comment

Free,i think its just the way things are,you cant bubble rap them and things happen no matter what,and not having your kids with you once in while farming would go against a few thousand years of evolution.

Comment

So tragic. I remember sitting on the fender with my dad for hours. My four year old grandson calls tractors without cabs convertibles. Several of us were run over but the tractors were small and the ground was soft. My cousins and I shake our heads as we reminisce about the dangerous way we carried on at the farm. Now, you would think that a child in a cab is pretty safe, but no matter how advanced we are, accidents still happen.

Comment

Same thing happened about a dozen years ago by Westlock. Wyatt Wolf was riding in a jd 4450 with his dad. Bump...hit door handle...door open..couldn't stop fast enought. RIP

Comment

Good advice. Do you think that the tractor or the combine is more dangerous? I appreciate the heads up cause our little critters love to come along. Funny thing how we turn them into farmers, isn't it?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...