• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the problem?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haywayman

Exercise a little patience?

I am running a business here with bills to pay. Last winter I was waiting for cars to show up to full fill my contracts. Do the grain companies and railroad shareholders wait for their dividends? Here we are as farmers having no control of how our products get to the buyers of the world as there are two other players in between us and them.We export 80% of what we grow.

As for the quality issues this year do you think the grain companies are buying all this so call feed wheat and shipping it to the customers as feed. Who's making all the money? Do you think they are worried about Joe Farmer making a fair profit? Do you honesty think that by being patience that things are going to change? You go ahead and be patient.

Comment

Forgfarmer, we have been patient and were rewarded as a result when we chose not to dump our durum production into last years dismal pricing and pathetic rail movement. Instead we moved commodities that generated a positive return and cash flow while storing the rest. We also were waiting for cars that never arrived but were able to work with the grain company to make alternative arrangements to move the commodity by truck at their expense. I don't regard the grain companies we deal with as the evil enemy, if I don't like their bid I don't sell. Not arguing the fact that rail service needs a major overhaul but obviously the problem didn't suddenly appear with the removal of the single desk. I hope greater scrutiny of the rail carriers will be an integral part of the transition process whatever that may involve. As far as ,"fair profit", what does that mean to each individual, "Joe Farmer" and how would a grain company possibly know this. Positive margins would equate quite differently from farm to farm I would suspect.

Comment

When we had the CWB, special crops were the bottom of the totem pole when it came to car allocation. Think those "good guys" at the CWB gave a whif about small processors? Or farmers that needed a revenue stream to make their farm payments? Just saying.

Just as aside Foragefarmer, do you remember the 4 bushel quota at $5/ bushel - want that back? Guess land would still be $125 bucks an acre.

Comment

Integrity: Organic farmers no longer have to do buybacks. Nor supply the CWB with the names of our buyers. Not have to come up with cash to sell our grain. Nor deal with the paperwork at the border to prove we own out bought-back grain.

You really don't think organic farmers would go backwards to install another govt mandated regime, do you?

Freedom is good. pars.

Comment

Sumdunguy

Not sure what your talking about. But hey, I'll tackle it anyways.

How far back in time are you going when land prices were $125.00 an acre. I didn't know the CWB was responsible for dictating land prices. Are you going back to the 1970's? I do recall that land prices exploded in the 1970's and then came back down in the 1980's. They then started to increase again in the 1990's till now.

I don't think the CWB controlled land prices at anytime in it's history. They did market your wheat, but wheat is not the only commodity that dictates land prices, not to mention all other factors with regard to land prices increasing.

Like said I wasn't sure what you were getting at but I took a stab at it.

Comment

Well, I think Intestinal Farmer got his intended result.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...