• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the problem?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the problem?

Ritz and many on this form said everything would be better once the CWB was neutered. The grain companies and railway are now firmly in control. What ever happened to the competition idea? Don't these companies compete for your grain?

The CWB played a major role in the orderly efficient movement of grain.

Of course those opposed to the CWB will never say they were wrong but really they don't have to, the comments they make on here indicates that they were wrong. It is too bad they took us all down with them.

It seems to me that those that created the problem should now be looking for solutions rather that complaining on this site.

Anyway good luck to you boys you will need it

yes the cwb had everyting running great with orderly shipping of grain, 1997 37 ships waiting forgrain.i have solutions for my farm on the majority of small crisis.8.42 i avearage for my wheat.what would your union government employees have gotten.instead of whining all the time i actually do something about it.heck im still celebrating the cwb gone.happy happy happy.i try to enjoy life instead of whining all the time,farming is great now.

Comment

just think integrity if the cwb had of listen to poeple who told them to change things with the times,maybe farmers wouldve accepted them .they were arrogant ---holes,and i would say it to there faces.having fun farming.

Comment

The cwb was corrupt. I know they cost me huge dollars in their inability to market grain. When you have an all time record price and u sell durum for $4. These line companies are all out for them self. We are getting closer to an american system, and I hope we get there soon.

Comment

The cwb was corrupt. Best money still is to grow something that they didn't try to market

Comment

Kostal had an interesting chart a while back of US cash durum prices going back a number of years. Twice before the cash price was higher than today but we never got anywhere near for durum what we are getting this year. CWB cost western cdn farmers untold millions with there ineptitude….best thing to happen to ag in the last hundred years. Only people complaining are those who don't know how to and can't be bothered to learn how to use the system we now have. Farming changed and if you haven't educated yourself it will be a rough go no doubt.

Comment

As long as I breath, I will not allow people like Integrity to try and rewrite history.

Comment

Nudge

Durum is interesting this year. I had contracted for a 2 cwad for a good price at the time. Then the weather downgraded it and I made grade adjustments to prevent getting hit with spreads.

Yields were not great but it's all gone no binning or waiting for calls.

Better but not fool proof yet and weather threw a wrench into good plans.

But had a reasonable weather year came in durum wouldn't have rocketed like it did.

Comment

Even though Minister Ritz is a poor manager of this file, and the government. Probably missed an opportunity to make a better system for producers. The Act to strip the CWB of its powers and give producers marketing freedom was right.

I believe it's not too late to fix things. A good start would be a re launch of the ICE wheat futures. The timing of it would be much better with the FOREX difference.

The government could also put incentives in place for value added development. To name a few things.

I used to think the their timing was good, prices were good and the high demand of our products. Now I wish 2012 was more like today and more of a struggle, I think things would have unfolded different.

Marketing Freedom was the right thing to do. Unfortunately we have not done enough to protect the farmer ownership and input in the industry to truly benefit from the advantages. For now...

Comment

...reactive(now) instead of proactive(then)!!!

Comment

The SINGLE DESK had 70 years to suck the life out of The DESIGNATED AREA so are we really surprised to see growing pains in a transition to an open market. We knew their would be bumps in the road but anyone who doesn't see the opportunities that have been created for producers surely have their heads planted firmly up their back side. Talk about whipping a dead horse, jeeez louise!!

Comment

highwayman, if that's directed at me, all I'm saying is there could have been a more methodical approach. Now the whole thing seems to be a cluster****. The list of grievances have been posted here many times.

The opinions of success or failure will be determined by each individual's experience, but we are now all responsible for our own success or failure now. Ask anyone who was able to market all of their durum at once and get paid all the money right away. You can't deny the opportunities but it irk me when coulda/woulda/shoulda comes up and YES there should have been some of that.

Back to hauling durum for grade improvement. Trying to salvage some value out of commercial salvage.....

Comment

One important change that could be implemented would be to apply the discounts or premiums at the time of contract signing.

It's obvious now that our customers will still take lower quality durum and pay more for it.

Durum is ****ed because it's not on a futures exchange or market. It's a specialty crop.

Comment

Not directed at you Farmaholic or anyone in particular. I just think we all need to exercise a little patience in regards to this transition. It seems that our frustrations with this process have been compounded with the quality issues experienced this year and understandably so. Unfortunately, the intervention of political ideology would have severely obstructed the slow/methodical approach that you mention, as we have been witness to in the past. I agree we are now all individually responsible for are own success or failure and personally wouldn't want it any other way.

Comment

Integrity, with all due respect, I believe there is a place for CWB, that is not the issue. The problem with old CWB was that they stubbornly refused to change with the times. I believe that with good management, a solid customer base and foresight, they can continue to be a viable entity with enviable future.

I hope government gives it a chance. Farmers would be better off with a stable competitor.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...