• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic Fusarium...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting thread. Ado says "it doesn't matter if you're talking livestock, people or plants higher density populations are more susceptible to disease"

I know what you mean but its missing the word "relative." Having 2 families living on a section of land or two cows instead on one won't lead to increased disease.
    Packing thousands of animals/birds into intensive confinement operations certainly does.

Plants are different though - you are confusing monoculture crop with plants in general. You want to see a pasture with a huge plant population of diverse species and you will never find a healthier pasture.

Intensity of production and monoculture anything likely leads to increased disease risk. Bottom line you are fighting nature and you won't win that battle. Mother nature insists on plant/species diversity for a reason.

Comment

When FHB raised its ugly head on our farm we conventional tilled, RR canola did not exist and glyphosate had rarely if ever been used on our land.
      This year, the winter wheat had a lot of FHB and the hrsw had very little, if any, fhb.
      In our area the FHB spores are assumed to be there. Its then the weather that determines whether the spores will flourish or just die off.
      Now that we have fungicides like Prosaro or Carumba we have some suppression over this.
      The problem the last couple years, is when we really need to spray is when we get enough rain to turn fields into swamp. Ideal for driving a sprayer with skinnies through.....err call the plane.

Comment

BreadWinner, who cares who qualifies to have a Ritchies Auction? The day after you bring your new combine and tractor home, you can kiss hundreds of thousands goodbye. I still have on my farm , in use a 760 Versatile that I bought in 1976, not a problem. Not that I don't have newer stuff, but not everyone farms for the equipment dealers. Some put it IN THE BANK.

Comment

sumdumguy, you don't think conventional farmers put money in the bank? We have to buy stuff so we don't have to give all back in taxes. That should rattle a few feathers. What do organic farmers do to reduce income tax, buy fertilizer and chemical? NOT so why is there no newer equipment on these farms? JUST AN OBSERVATION.... Some people can learn from there neighbours and most organic guys around here are just existing and that is about it. Not saying organic farming is wrong but it would have to be allot more profitable for me to jump into. I just tend to look at things from a business perspective. If it works for you that is fine. By the way hobbyfarmer was the one who started the auction rant.

Comment

I think there's a lot of info and logic on this thread.
            Too bad there's a lot of BS as well.

Comment

According to "food in Canada " which is Canada 'a food and Beverage processing magazine , the September 14 issue:

"Canada's organic exports are now valued at more than $458 million, with most exports going to the US and the EU."

You'll note the $458M does not include domestic consumption, will you ? Pars

Comment

Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto are major buyers from domestic organic farmers.I don't have the current figure for domestic sales yet.

Organic farmers highly value our organic buyers.

Canada is better off with a growing, thriving organic export market than if all the organic farmers shut down, switch to conventional production and flood the conventional market still more, IMHO, Pars

Comment

And I'll also add, organics are still on track: value adding, selling local plus exports, continually new products, container shipments, groups working together, and audit trails, employing locally and expanding slowly.

Nothing new here. pars.

Comment

I think LEP had made first mention of auctions. I simply responded about the statement.

Comment

One more thing for you to think about: Canadian organic farmers fill a huge market that cannot be filled by conventional farmers. if all Canadian organic farmers quit tomorrow, the exports stop. And foreign imports will fill the Canadian domestic demand.

Not many of us, I agree, but organic farming does create wealth, folks. For Canadians. And that's a fact. Parsley

Comment

Parsley,

I do like the fact I am growing grains to sell into a market that does regard my efforts as valuable. It's definitely a "kinder" market to participate in.
                        As described in an above post, buyers may not be quite as receptive to fusarium wheat . Thankfully not happening yet.

Comment

Hobby, as a fellow "Producer", do everything in your power to keep it at bay. Try not to give the consumer anything to be concerned about and keep it a non-issue. I think the "problem" may be overblown in the conventional side and simply used as a tool to downgrade and buy grain cheaper, tinfoil hat theory. Best of luck but sometimes things happen beyond our control!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...