• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic Fusarium...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic Fusarium...

The organic Producers who take part in this forum know the problems conventional farmers are having with grading grain and the problems in the field with disease. Are the organic Producers having the same issues? Some continuous crop. Is the extra tillage keeping disease at bay for them?

Organic consumers are usually very cognizant of what they buy. Has the organic grading system (if there is one) developed tolerances for fusarium and vomitoxin levels?

never had fusarium i grow only spring wheat with a clover plow down,had the crop graded by the grain comm it came back #1 and 14% protein yeild 27 bush. it seems the plough down is helping with the protein and weeds as dockage is about 4.5%

Comment

What is fusarium............

Comment

No.seriously it has never been an issue on this farm.

Comment

None here, ever. Older variety hrs

There were some 'studies' done linking fus levels to gly rates..most available on internet to read, interpret as you wish.

Comment

None here, ever. Older variety hrs

There were some 'studies' done linking fus levels to gly rates..most available on internet to read, interpret as you wish.

I thin

Comment

I think tillage/rotation helps as well

Comment

Little here. Non organic, never spray for it. No-tillage. i dunno?

Comment

The fusarium glyphosate allegations have never been scientifically proven.
                  A pass of fungicide possibly two passes have been proven to protect wheat and canola yeild.
                  Keep spraying. Don't worry about it.

Comment

Hobby, are you trying to discourage me from "going organic"?

It's a legitimate question and concern. I would be the first to admit modern ag has helped createthe environment for the problem if weather conditions permit...

It would be interesting to see a side by side conventional versus organic, weather conditions would be the same but practices very different. Not too many organic guys left around here(NO SARCASM INTENDED).

I asked because you have to wonder....

Comment

University of Nebraska has posted report of testing done on root colonization and moisture relationship with Fusarium in Soybeans.

Where is all our research money going? This is a problem that could destroy our wheat growing industry, and possibly other crops. Is the government so enamoured by Monsanto and no-till that they are closing a blind eye.

Comment

Sumdum... replace the word government with producer and then you might be right. But I do agree with your comment as well, this isn't a new phenomenon, and its creeping west. Environmental/weather conditions have to right first but to have it lurking in the bushes waiting is the shits. It used to be a Manitoba problem well its here now.

Comment

Pourfarmer you are lucky you are not getting your head chewed off here with the glypho comment. I mentioned that here this summer and wow did i get jumped on by some. Trouble is when we know we need something to help us do what we are doing we defend it. Like a buddy of mine says when we discuss glypho " Warfarin is amazing too. But is it really good or bad?

Comment

Think fusarium likes old standing stubble and high rates of nitrogen..Both of which organic farmers do not have..

Comment

Non organic here. This is the first year of detectable fuz 1-3%, this year we didn't spray fungicides but we have always treated the seed. Seems like it is slowly creeping west it was east of us till this year. I think the spores spread in the wind more than the experts think. I think this is the reason we have it now. We have good crop rotations and we grow three varieties. All three had the same level of fuz this year and 0 last year. Even one field has been forages for the last 10 years canola last year and wheat this year, it even had fusarium. Looks like were stuck spraying fungicide every year now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...