• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agronomy or Genetics

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does klause shoot for? And what does he get? So we can fill up the blackboard with numbers and equations. Then what? In the it all comes down to timing, luck, work, and eating pu ???? Good food haha. Agronomy genetics and sex.

Comment

There is one exception in canola genetics, sclero resistance. Regular canola here sprayed with fungicide was 50 plus , not sprayed below 40 , the sclero res varieties were in the 50 range as well.
      Same results in 2012 , 2013 was a non issue - low disease pressure.
      This can be a sum of agronomy , genetics and weather though - as with most crops grown in western canada

Comment

50 to 40 furrow could be a stretch This year. Lots of starving agronomists trying to make money around here. How about show some verifyable third party results. Some field demos.

Comment

I agree with agonomy but I dont listen to this and that without seeing. So I suggest lets crop tour.

Comment

Genetics shows up in the red lentils.

Comment

Weather for the lucky. Agronomics for us all.

If our parents used what we use now for inputs, yields would have been tremendous for us in the former "sure crop", used to be good rainfall areas.

Comment

I think both...but agronomy showing more consistent results. I look back to 2013...there were some unreal yields that I cannot explain/rationalize or credit to agronomy. So was it the capacity/potential of genetics, or a freak of nature....like 3 well timed early frosts on the wheat. In most years, the stars always seem to line up on some fields...but these annual"one-off"? yields from those fields have steadily crept upwards thru time. Thinking good weather, agronomy and genetics all clicked....but difficult to replicate farm wide. No doubt mother Nature holds the trump weather card...throwing most theory out the window.
                More consistent/bankable ROI...I say agronomy over genetics.

Comment

There never has been more money invested in inputs nor research since time began. The fact that disease is becoming such a threat reinforces my theory that research is not hitting the mark. And in these wet years no-till is creating conditions conducive to disease and "possibly" flooding. Feeling grumpy this morning.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...