• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Bag damage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Bag damage

First time user of bags. Have deer walking on 2 out of 3, punching holes all over. Appreciate any solutions, as it takes 600 feet of fence per bag. Shooting is not allowed in this County east of Edmonton.

1) big, hungry, barky dogs!
    2) scare cannon used to rid geese?
    3) prices are up, "sell it", before you incur all the costs associated with snow and cold!

Comment

Talked to a company selling equipment to airports, gardens etc. his suggestion was snow fence laid up against the bag so the coudnt strike at it.
      Never tried it. Good luck.

Comment

There is a reason the gung ho bagging folks around here have bought bins.

But then we have bears, ravens, elk and moose, along with deer.

Most guys used snow fence to try to dissuade the wildlife. I dunno. Supposedly human hair is supposed to repel them. Or get the family to go pee every evening at each bag??

Comment

Electric fence is cheap! Or do like we do take them to one field just like bins you just sled around every day!
          Now Ravens and oats I just can't figure out how they know a oats bag from barley and wheat in a group of 20 bags!

Comment

CPS Wadena sold over 70 BIG bins to former bagging farmers.
            Voting with their cheque books.

Comment

They sure have been doing a strong business of bins out of there. They seem competetive and they are quick and efficient in my experience.

But be careful: If Kevin gets wind that you even glanced at the bins in the yard, he will be out doing a sales pitch! ha ha. I mentioned in April to him that I should get some. He doesn't forget you let me tell you.

My one neighbor got like 17 last year. A person should budget for 1 or 2 a year.

Comment

if you have access to a used bag, pull this over the full bag and weight it down with pallets or something. We have done this almost every year on bags that deer are after and it does help. For some reason the deer are at the bags early this year. We have had problems this year already too. When the nov canola is moved our bagged wheat is going into the hoppers. We have had coon trouble too on one bag. We set the live catch trap with some marshmallows to stop those. This worked too.

Comment

Thanks all. I was wondering if splitting an old bag and pulling over would help, but just pulling on over the top sounds a lot simpler. The electric wire idea would be placed where ? Thinking about 3 feet high and 2 feet out ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...