• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reclaiming lost ground

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reclaiming lost ground

Sometimes to me it seems like a useless endeavor trying to reclaim some ground lost to wetness only to have them full again next spring. But you never know. Some sloughs on clay based land are still full past their usual boundaries, others on lighter land dried up to varying degrees. Most were sprayed through or the perimeters were done to help control grasses. A neighbour of mine used to complain about doing it, He's now retired-not his problem.

I often wonder if it's worth the diesel, time and generosity of the neighbors for pulling me out but I seem to gain a little ground every year. It only take one crop to catch in a low spot and it's yours again

Comment

In this area most farms have a joker or a lemken to reclaim low spots and cover sprayer ruts. They look effective and you have to drive fast with a high horsepower tractor. Pretty cool.

Comment

Farma

Which is why tile drainage is used in the US, Eastern Canada, the EU, and anywhere else with high rain amounts. High land values allows the change in attitudes for investment in this infrastructure.

Comment

Its worth it.
          In the years 1982 to 1986 our low spots gave us a crop average in the 40s. We picked and cleaned up every low spot. Yes they have water in most but if their is no snow to catch in cattails their is hardly any water.
          Were not in dry land farming any more so tillage is a necessity.

Comment

Tom, I have a spot where tile drainage would empy afew larger shallow sloughs that we used to cut hay in. We have a large 30 acre marsh about half a mile away it could be dumped into but when its full to capacity, like it is now, is has to go somewhere and that is down stream. Equals unhappy neighbours.

Comment

Water storage capacity.

Reservoir systems to water when short. Store water when plentiful. Big money needed to do this. Land and crop value must increase before the economics will work. Until then... Farm the land to build the soil and grow good crops!

Comment

Keeping the barley fox tail out of the low spots is the big reason we do it.. even if we can't seed the next yr..less snow stopping too..

Comment

Tom store water for future use! Yea really may as well. build a dam across the Quappelle valley!
                  Sorry all those cottages sorry fortquappelle sorry Indian reserves! Oh a lake 100 miles long 300 ft deep! Ah it's huge rain event year after year!

Comment

They did it with Gardiner and Qu'Appelle to create Lake Diefenbaker and the Rafferty to create the Rafferty Reservoir. I've made up my mind, starting tomorrow I'm building a dam.

Comment

Farmaholic you may just be floading your ownn land and for what?

Comment

Inspired by Tom.

Comment

My neighbors with 2 Cat twin engine sc****rs, pulldozer and track hoe provide me with FREE full reservoirs and marshes. Others slow water that came from other neighbors from leaving our land and we have more FREE marshes/reservoirs. All I see is a hundred feet of salty soil all around these that grows only weeds! These two areas, 50 acres total, still have water so NO tillage, can't even burn the suckers. What's the point it all repeats every spring. Rest of the fields are now corner to corner, a dry pattern this year. Cat tails still in some low spots, sprayed and cultivated!
                          More land = more grain = lower prices?

Comment

If you had wide open fields in the past and now have a inch to 6 of water sitting on it due to weird weird fricking rainy weather. You want your fields back.
                            Why catch snow is my attitude So yes tillage and no snow catch is my ultimate goal.

Comment

Running water in fall andnthrough summernis bad. For one its backed up from green grass in the ditches. I think way to reclaim is get together with neighbours and work together. Mowing is ****ed up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...