• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebola

StatsCan's figures for Africans entering Canada in 2014:

Africa, total
    April 7,304
    May 10,448
    June 14,482
    July 17,810
    August 17,334

Q for you: will these numbers increase if ebola numbers in Africa continues to increase?

Q for you: If you were an African citizen, and a family member died from ebola, would you lie about exposure, and hop a plane and head for Winnipeg? Pars

I would highlight Ebola is in one very particular region of west Africa. Most of Africa is not impacted at the present.

I suspect the number of tourists and business people entering Africa would dwarf the number of people seeking to become new Canadians. You can add in the number of people moving in and out of Europe from Africa.

Perhaps a bigger issue will be health care workers who risk their lives to help the area being impacted by ebola. Not sure how you would treat these people.

Comment

I am curious as to the purpose for emigrants to our country. To increase work force which then keeps wages lower, or to provide demand for housing, which then creates profits for real estate and developers.
      As technology and efficiencies in production increase, is there a need for increased population?
      I would favour a policy similar to Switzerland, where citizenship is difficult to obtain, and takes years,as well as endorsement from other citizens. In the UAE, you can work there, but if not born an Emerati, you can never become a citizen.
      I fear we bear a lot of increased medicare costs with this policy.

Comment

parsley

I'll add a question. If you were a Canadian travelling in west Africa and you felt yourself getting sick/were concerned about ebola, would you lie about it so you could have access to the better system here?

I highlight again the challenge of sending front line health care workers/others to the necessary battle with the disease. When everyone else is running away from danger, they are running towards it.

Comment

I wonder if PM Harper and Ms. Ambrose will fly down there to get a first hand look to assess the situation, we are sending our highly trained staff into.

Comment

Oh Im all for sending many politicians in for a closer look I can start a list but it would be a long one starting right at the local level and up from there.

Comment

Charliep, StatsCan did not distinguish West Africa from Africa so I used the numbers that are available.
              btw, the entrants taken from Table 427-00031 defines the number of non-resident travellers entering Canada, monthlly.
              With regards to health care workers, none of out best should be entering West Africa. Period. Should they? The necessary equipment and meds can be air dropped to medical centres in WA. Techniques and procedures can be taught via Skype and FB. WA should be viewed and treated a quarantined zone.

There is no need to enter an area that is an ebola hotspot. And no need to appear heroic while acting stupid. Dragging ebola home to Canada is inevitable.

Comment

Samhill, I would cut Canadian immigration in half, applied immediately, and refuse to consider any applicants from countries abiding by Sharia law. Pars

Comment

Charliep, I personally would not be travelling to WA hotspots under ANY circumstances.Not as a nurse or as a doctor or as a health care work or as an evangelist interested in dying souls. It would be unfair to all Canadians to put them at risk when I return. We have enough technology to help WA virtually. Pars

Comment

Nigeria and Sierra Leone were declared Ebola free over the weekend (21 days of no new reported cases). It is containable, could be eradicated just like polio. And the best way to do it is to attack it at the roots as opposed to reacting after it's out of control. My two bits. My goodness Dear, you are sure becoming paranoid lately - unbecoming of one of Viking blood!

Comment

Mahbe she finally realized she's not immortal? Or is she doesn't like "t" immoral either. Welcome back Parsley.

Comment

Nothing paranoid about quarantine. It is a sound, well-used practice, even in my day. Quarantining a family, a town, a region, and even a country is a sound personal, business, health and economic practice, and one that should be incorporated the sooner the better.

Businesses today often tell workers to stay home if they have the flu. Care homes regularly quarantine their facilities if an epidemic of flu is rampant. We quarantine cows. Dogs. Anomals. Fish. Birds. Good heavens, It's a common sense measure.

I was officially quarantined as a small child. Twice. And with very good reason.

What specific reasons do you have for not quarantining sickness? Pars.

Comment

Thanks farm, I'm flattered you missed my combatant conversations. lol. Have been travelling a lot lately. And when I'm home it's been head down and ass up in my garden. Pars.

Comment

Was the quarantine for sickness or good behavior? I got quarantined but not for sickness. Lesson learned.

Comment

TB at 4. My sister died from it. Trust me, you understand the consequences of contagion even at 4. Bible camp at 8 left me with diphtheria. In isolation ward for 10 days. They slid my food through the hospital door and then shut it. Big sign on the door. QUARANTINE.

Very effective in the spread of disease. Everyone wins. Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...