• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB whats the latest?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB whats the latest?

Reading it could be sold.

Different scenario than australian single desk as AWB basically had no assests wereas CWB has elevators and terminals, is this correct?

I know AWB reinvented itself and was a great company to deal with and ultimately got taken over by Cargill.

If that happened while the single desk was in place it still may be operating allowing semi deregulation if you like.

In saying that nobody misses it life goes on, grain markets go up and down and we all use every instrument possible to attain best prices, when opportunity presents itself, as in feb march april this year.

Years like 2014 when prices collapse is when single desk marketing failed, the huge amount of grain that had to be sold in fact was a impediment and as one former AWB trader once told me was almost like a ball and chain, every tender they missed out on the next tender would be lower snowballed downwards.

Happy turkey day over there guys mind the calories

A chart used by Geoff Honey, CEO of Grain Trade Australia, showed that Australian wheat lost about $20/t relative to its nearest competitor( U.S. Pacific Northwest) after the end of the AWB. He didn't notice the trend until I pointed it out and as far as I know destroyed the data afterward.

Comment

if you dig deeper that's a fact but costs of running pools outweighed any gains pools on average cost $25er tonne to run ,just a fact of life, honestly never used them other than short season pools 4 months which were basically domestic cash is king.
      But ive got no beef with awb or single desk wasn't for me and I didn't need to use it, sell to end user or container market, Canada is different you've got the tyranny of distance to port and markets plus weather hold ups which cause logistical problem.

Awb started offering cash prices along side pool products when they had single desk and I often sold to them for cash, they had to take there blinkers off and change they did all credit to them, but a year to late.

Comment

They are building 80s styled elevators.

Basically the same as the others because they hired a guy that has 30 years in the elevator building business.

The ****ing guys at the cwb had an opportunity to build something that would kick the shit out of the competition using government guarantees. And they build white elephants. Typical from this management group.

Comment

Captainobvious. Are you on some new campaign to get the beloved single desk back? Why not look to the future and forget about what's come and gone. Its never coming back! Thought about giving you some numbers but why bother.

Comment

Vvalk

The jury is out from my point of view if we are better off.

No transparency.

BTW have you not suggested that to ritz yet.

Durum market is no different than if we had the cwb.

Wheat doesn't move any better.

Graincos won't put an effort into wheat until railways have weather troubles.

Did I say no transparency.

Did I say the new cwb is just wasting taxpayers money? Because they are.

Comment

Educate me please...Why does a private company have to be transparent?

Comment

Cargill must report their sales to the Usda at weeks end or days end if the sale is large enough.

It's about checks and balances.

It was implemented after the grain robbery in the 70s.

Get it?

Comment

Durum market is no different? Do you love under a rock? Have you seen the durum prices? But still irrelevant since the CWB isn't coming back.

Comment

14 bucks usd 3 weeks ago in the states. Barely above 10 cdn in Canada locally.

And durum isn't on an exchange anywhere. It's a specialty crop like peas and lentils.

Back to my rock.

Comment

And the cwb is relevant. They are government backed for 5 years. Sadly they are squandering good money on an antique handling system. Once again incompetent.

Rumour has it they also recently got caught short on a durum sale.

Some of the movers on the durum market like it or not.

Comment

I wonder for how long must something never be spoken of for it never to have existed. I for one will do my part. (_ _ _)

Comment

In my opinion, they are struggling to become relevant. They may become a fringe player with a few locations and some grain handling and marketing capabilities.

Comment

BlackPowder, after two more generations it will only be referenced in history books.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...