• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report!

Well what a week of cleaning the shop, changing oil, setting up the dryer, cleaning bins and working quarters down. Oh I forgot to mention no harvest activity until yesterday after noon. Rain last week then spits, showers dew frost, wet frost, ah October. But yesterday we were able to get the HRS down below 19 so we took a 100 acres and it dried in dryer last night. Canola was 14 the day before and 13 last night. Strait Canola was 12.5 the day before and 11.2 last night.
    So basically every one was out trying and then going home for the most part for over a week.
    So 1% harvested were now at 49% to go.
    Wheat will be down graded. Shop around their telling guys lots of BS.
    Soy is all sprayed and will go last.
    Canola took the moisture and held on tight. No movement for days then yesterday finally dropped a point.
    Oats has regrowth in Early that wasn't sprayed. Late lots swathing their oats this week.
    Barley most is done except a few late. Lots chitted worst I heard was 20%. But their taking it for malt. Late is light and froze.
    Flax most sprayed, very few swath. It was tough yesterday no one going.
    Peas all worked down or Geese finished.
    So to wrap up the week. Moisture is back like spring water in all lower areas and not going away. Land is still firm enough to hold some equipment but the trucks in fields is done for the year. Loading on side roads. Creeks running again, water table is a problem spring 2015 will have.
    Black is back, Simply farmers who worked fields in fall of 2014 are finding yields are higher than those who didn't. In Canola about 8 bushels higher. This is hard to get ones head around since like us lots have not worked fields since 1984. that's a 30 year experiment. Thirty years is along time, but the soil needs to breath. something is happening that all this moisture is doing damage major damage. Manitoba farmers use to rip or band in fall well maybe its time we changed the program in East Sask Problem is when your seeding two weeks later than normal and have a wet fall like this year that leaves what two days after harvest to get fall work done before the snow.
    Harvest 14 was basically at a stand still this last week.
    Be safe, have a great thanks giving.
    Its just a fricking crop don't kill your self over it, the vultures will get it for what they want after your done harvesting anyway with new grade rules.

Always enjoy your Friday crop report, keep on keeping on.

Here's my Thursday crop report, finally going.

GOT MY COMBINE ON!!!
    Hope all Canuck farmers can get at it.
    WARNING NOT for the faint of heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahBujhiZT4U

Comment

Good move on the dryer, seems they are now an essential tool with the falls we have been having.

Comment

We have been using a dryer most yrs. since 1974..Even this yr. our first wht was testing 20 and started in early Sept..Temps are way warmer and it dries in 1/2 the time and fuel..One reason we have been done for 2 weeks..

Putting on fall fert..soil is moist to even wet in certain fields, and we are drier than most..Have been fall fert. for ever, and soil is always tilled and blacker..Very few zero tiller boys left in this area..

Comment

Partners

What method of fall fertilizer do you use?

Comment

Also appreciate crop reports and effort put into writing them.
            Similar excess moisture problems with sloughs full and running over, high water table and springs coming out of side hills.
            It is uncharted territory after five years, going by past we are overdue for drier years but each extra wet year makes us think again about working land that has not produced for five years.
            Have been thinking one in three chance for significantly drier year but maybe it really is climate change.

Comment

Got going on soya yesterday 15 moist. Got down to 14 buy supper time. Hope not to get stuck today couple close calls yesterday!

Comment

Did 260 acres of canola yesterday. Moisture was 11.3%. Need to combine some dry canola to blend with or else need to pull the dryer out of the bush and set up some bins and augers.

Forecast looks good for next 2 weeks. That will get us close. Only 25% done right now.

I hope the oats in swath will dry down. Swaths are very heavy and got soaked last week.

Durum that I have hand rubbed has lost all its color and now has bran frost. But it might be low in fusarium. Will have to do a lot of shopping around. I am sure it is worth something to somebody.

Was down to minus 4 last night. Still have one quarter of roundup I wanted to spray. Might get one more chance in a few days.

I will note that this looks like a turnaround in the weather and once again it has coincides with the full moon. I hope that pattern holds till the next full moon.

Comment

Our area should have only the usual stragglers left by Saturday night. Will take last wheat tough if need.
                  Yes keep up the crop report. Just don't ask for a raise.
                  Some going back to fall work here. Straw management or fertilizer application for time management come spring.

Comment

We use dry..blend with what ever we need.. ..Then straight phos in the spring..Saves us time, as there is only the 2 of us..
                    Use spikes on a bourgault 8810..

Comment

Ever try floating on after freeze up?

Comment

Started banding urea yesterday, very wet sticky soil. And by the sound of it we are one of the DRY spots. It must be ridiculously wet for most of you. Yes, this is unusual for the semi arid prairies.
                        A dryer is used every year here also, Aug heat/low humidity dries in no time. That's how climate varies. Aeration rarely works here. Great week ahead, so there is a good chance to harvest even if days are short. Stay safe.

Comment

Flax testing 13 yesterday,back roads are so ****ed trucks cant go down thank god for carts,lost track of the number of rain event in the past 7 weeks,lots of crop out.

Comment

This is our third dryer we owned since 1974! I counted how many more days I could have went this fsll drying cured wheat or cxnola snd came ip with two maybe three! Drying now versus dec you dry now airation is just fluff to keep it from heating!
                            All guys with dryers are going yesterday! Some looking to upgrade dryers this winter!maune this shit is here to stay! You adapt!

Comment

Revision. After moving to a distant field. It appears there is enough wheat that isnt drying. Hopefully dry enough by this weekend.
                              Dryers very rare here. People seem to prefer to buy more combines.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...