• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politicians and their pt

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Politicians and their pt

Well, another government minister caught with his hand in the taxpayer cookie jar.

After Larry Macquire maxed out his MB MLA pension, he resigns to run federally in a guarenteed conservative riding in Mb and is paid $85,000 to do so. Larry is a farmer and has lots of experience as an ag spokesman and was president of the WCWGA. I would have expected better of Larry.

Dont expect much from any politician of any party to work on real issues including agriculture. All they worry about is personal gain once elected. The WCan cons are the worst as they truely take for granted strong party support in theses rual ridings.

Background:
    When Progressive Conservative Larry Maguire quit the Manitoba legislature to run for a federal seat, he received $85,564 in transition pay under a formula that was enhanced after the last provincial election.

Maguire is not alone — most politicians across the country receive some form of severance package when they leave office. But his case has one lobby group calling for an end to such payouts when politicians resign of their own free will.

"I don't think the public would have a problem with a politician who is defeated (in an election) receiving a reasonable severance package," Colin Craig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation said.

"But in a case where a politician chooses to quit, I think the public would have concerns, especially given how generous the benefit is."

The benefit varies across the country. Many provinces offer a package — often called a transition payment or severance — that offers politicians one month of pay for each year they worked. Most payouts are capped at a maximum limited to anywhere from six months to 18 months.

The money is meant primarily to help politicians, especially those who are defeated in an election, until they find new work.

In Alberta, a more-generous plan was axed last year. It gave three months of pay for each year and was not capped. As a result, longtime cabinet minister Ken Kowalski received $1.2 million when he retired in 2012 after 33 years. The Alberta plan was generous largely because it replaced a pension program that former premier Ralph Klein eliminated in 1993.

In Manitoba, where politicians have a pension plan, severance pay has changed over the years, but has been calculated primarily on one month of severance for each year of work. People elected prior to 1995 had payments capped at one year, regardless of whether they were voted out of office or quit voluntarily.

As a result, former premier Gary Doer received $85,564 when he resigned in 2009 to become Canada's ambassador to the United States, according to the government's annual public accounts report. Former finance minister Rosann Wowchuk received the same amount when she retired in 2011.

In 2005, the government lowered the maximum payout for politicians who were elected after that date and who quit voluntarily to six months of pay instead of one year. Politicians voted out of office were still eligible for a full year's severance.

Following the 2011 election, an independent commissioner hired by the province to examine political salaries and benefits said the six-month cap was too low and ruled it should be raised back to one year.

The change allowed Maguire to resign last year with a full year's severance after spending 14 years in the legislature. He quit to run for federal office in the longtime Conservative stronghold of Brandon-Souris, and sc****d by Liberal opponent Rolf Dinsdale in a close contest. He was soon making double his provincial salary as a member of Parliament.

Maguire said his severance was "adequate" and he is considering giving some of it to charity once he goes through his tax returns and determines how much of it he has netted. Some of the severance was paid out in the current tax year, he said.

Maguire also stressed he and other politicians did not set the amount. Under provincial law, the legislature cannot make changes to the independent commissioner's report. It can only adopt it or reject it in its entirety.

"The commissioner makes those decisions and puts them forward as a package, and we're not allowed to pick and choose out of those," Maguire said.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Maguire

Sorry, title should read politicians and their priorities. Damned tablet!

Comment

This is not a guaranteed Conservative riding. Larry Maguire lost this riding before to a Liberal.

When it comes to politicians, consider this:

They give up 4 or more years of their life for public office. Often these years come at time that, when they're done, they're really too old to tern to much meaningful of a career.

Their work is gruelling. Not just kissing babies and attending birthday parties for 100 year olds. I was a registered lobbyist in Ottawa for a few years (not Theresa Spence). Often you would meet with an M.P., no matter government or opposition, and find if you walked by their office late, late at night they were still there.

Reports to go over and reports to prepare. Endless administration to look after. Often away from family and loved ones which brings it's own level of stress.

One of Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is to "understand before being understood". So, I'm not saying the severance amount is right or wrong. I'm just saying, think about everything involved before judgement.

Comment

He could have simply said no to the $85k. These actions raises questions of credibility.

Comment

I don't know Maguires thoughts.

Don't vote for me ever. I'd keep it I like to get paid for my work with no apologies.

Comment

Braveheart, Maquire didn't exactly walk into a retirement void - he moved into a hire paying job. And if he quits or loses in the next election, I'm sure he will do just fine (re: Ted Menzies). Those terms you outlined should be a consideration for any candidate before, I stress before, they ever get into public life. Not disputing the work load, I'd never want to do that. Thinking of the average working grunt out there I have to say politicians everywhere do a grand job of looking after themselves.

Comment

I think Maguire is too old for any employment post politics. I say that yet he has more energy than men that are a third his age.

Who is Ted Menzies?

Comment

Braveheart

You sure can lay it on thick.

How much staff do each of them have. How many breaks are there each year when parliment isn't sitting. How about the salary, living allowance, pensions, board appointments, benefits the list goes on and on. Just who the hell are you trying to fool on here.

By your postings it sounds to me you were one of this government MP's staffers yourself!!

Comment

Barveheart

Please don't make the comeback with the line I should try it or that I don't know what long ours are. I have had to do the off farm job thing for many years to get to point of finally not having an off farm job.

Comment

Hahaha. Me a government staffer? That's so funny. To start with, I'd never pass the security check.

No, Larry's Maguire's farm, while out of my district, was not far from me. We all know Larry. He is a selfless, dedicated character. He really does take the business of Canada seriously.

When he was farming he would combine all night, drive to Regina for parts (4 hrs one way) drive home and combine again all night. He is the same tireless politician.

He has told me about his budget for staff and it's not huge.

You will NEVER hear him say he's entitled to his entitlements.

No, Forage, I wouldn't advise you to try it. I wouldn't want to take the chance on you being connected with running Canada. Keep on foraging.

Comment

I know Alison Redford needed her severance payment so she could pay lawyers to keep her out of jail. That must be stressful.

Comment

She wouldn't have looked good in orange anyway.

Comment

Forage,

Larry would provide a helpful farmer perspective to our federal government.

He has worked hard all his life... a person very deserving of his proper pay... which is exactly what anyone would be paid in the same circumstances.

But;
                          Since you work on your farm... you said... " I have had to do the off farm job"...

If you paid into a pension plan from off farm job...
                          Now you are in the clover with livestock and feeling your oats...
                          Perhaps your pension should be denied since you are happy with your new found wealth... would this be appropriate???

Comment

I hear that maguire is a good man. A real farmers advocate.

If that is the case apparently they muzzled him.

I always hear of these good men that are supposedly taking care of our interests.

Ritz Anderson and others meanwhile the same shit happens over and over.

The current open market is a shit show with graincos taking good margins, worse than when the cwb was in place and not a peep.

Graincos pricing with no fx. Zero basis indicating they want wheat but won't make the leap to convert mpls Dec future to Canadian dollars.

Had a guy in Ottawa ask if it was legal. Apparently it is.

Ritz is quiet about wheat prices considering a lower loonie.

Comment

Bucket,

It is rather entertaining your blaming Minister Ritz, MP Anderson... and Larry for not increasing wheat prices. Competition is the only solution to this dilemma, and I see good competition for wheat in our end of the prairies. $5.75/bu for 2CWRS 13.5 yesterday.

Who exactly would you have control prices... in your perfect world? You?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...