• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting Grain Bins on Screw Piles

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting Grain Bins on Screw Piles

Has anyone here used screw piles for hopper bottom bins? I was thinking a pile for each leg on the hopper cone, would a ring or pad be needed or would that be sufficient? The rising concrete price has me looking for alternatives. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Sure sounds like a good idea to me,a pile under every vertical leg?

Comment

That's what I was thinking, was a pile for each vertical leg. The soil here is something else, heavy clay causes lots of problems with basements and concrete in general. Thought these piles might be a cheaper and quicker alternative. Another bonus is if you want to move the bin, auger out the piles and move to new location and put them back in the ground.

Comment

You'd have to get below the frost line.

Comment

Have used screw piles a few times.

They aren't cheap. We tried using used rig anchors with extensions, total depth ten feet.

The bins still have a skid on a compacted gravel base with a rig anchor under each leg. We did this under four dry fert bins and we still had one settle annually.

I also put screw anchors under a garage I was building in town, they were twelve inch fighting twelve feet deep, 350 each plus installation.

Likely better to put 14 inches of concrete and no skid under your bins.

Comment

What size of hopper bins?

The pilings sound very extreme but I am not familiar with putting bins on your soil conditions.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...