• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flax straw???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flax straw???

What are people doing with flax residue?

My neighbour runs all of his through the combine chopper.

Comment

Coleville: conventional or rotorary combine?

Comment

We have a rotary and it goes through the combine back on to the land..Always tune up the chopper knives and header knife before doing flax..

Comment

Heavy harrow it into a few rows, and call the burn line.

It levels the land, and they are the first fields that will sow next season.

Comment

Our rotary twists the straw into a rope and makes it hard for the chopper to do much of anything with it. We now harrow and burn it. Last year we were lucky to have a Manitoba flax straw company come and bale it and haul it away. Didn't get paid that well for it but it saved us having to do something with it, some value there. Good part about harrowing is you get the volunteer stuff to germinate, but i suspect only our combine can't save it all.

We had a couple of old 850's we used to operate and chopped the straw with them. Once over the concave and the straw danced over the walkers to the chopper and it did a good even job of chopping and spreading, could seed right through it. Not anymore....

Comment

Last time I grew flax both the redekop chopper and hurricane spreader off an 8570 were left in the field pretty much destroyed. Is anyone chopping and spreading flax with a 20/30 series case or a S series deere?

Comment

We used to straight cut our flax, but quit because of the straw issue. We now swath, let sit for a week, and then combine. Choppers have no problem with it and we don't have to wait until November to combine.

Comment

Boy, wonder where they found those experts? I think they spend too much time reading the yield brag forums in the web. I hope we are in for a surprise in the report and see a bit of a rebound in prices.

Comment

The neighbour desiccated it about 2-3 weeks ago, straight cut it with a Deere rotory and blew it out the back. I ?think? it's a factory chopper. The residue is still noticeable but looks like it can be planted into.

And the crop was so heavy it would lodge during the summer rains.

Comment

What ever happened to the flax straw plants that were going to make car parts etc?

Comment

[URL="http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/current/GraiStoc/GraiStoc-09-30-2014.pdf"]USDA[/URL]

Comment

The prospective entrepreneur's subsidy/grants never came through and be damned if they were going risk their own money. Actually thats just a sarcastic comment, I have no idea....

Comment

There used to be a flax straw processing plant in Winkler. Not sure if it's still in business.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...