• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get Your Falling Numbers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get Your Falling Numbers

In an earlier thread I mentioned I was interested in getting wheat falling numbers tested. In talking to someone in the trade this week they indicated that this year wheat will likely be selected/priced based on falling numbers. Barley here has to have a vomi test first so this would be similar.

I sent samples to the CGC but found out later that the local elevator is doing falling numbers on all wheat samples submitted now.

I think this should go further. If we are paid for protein and falling numbers, why not the rest of the specs? Dry matter should be paid as well. I don't know what the scale should be, but 12.9% moisture should be worth more 14.8%.

BTW, the falling numbers at the elevator that have come back are around 340. If I remember the stuff learned at CIGI, we should be well over 400 for good sound wheat.

Anyway, get your numbers and hopefully they will be good.

I'm with you on this but is it wise to allow your buyer to provide you with the test? Just a thought.

Comment

Seems to work in the U.S.
      What's the problem here?

Comment

Our falling number on our hard red is 368 this year. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Comment

Trust issue....

Comment

300 (seconds or more) indicates sound wheat. Buyers likely specify needs. Now would this be a good time to ask the terminals if grades and specs don't matter? Only price, ya right.

Comment

Yes, thanks. 300 and up indicates low enzyme sound wheat.

Comment

Braveheart Elevators are doing on site falling number on every sample?

Comment

Agreed. GET YOUR OWN FALLING NUMBERS AND PROTEIN FROM A LAB FOR YOURSELF.
                  god dammit, it's your grain help yourself. When are farmers going to stop letting everyone else do their most important work for them?
                  When you have the test results, to can fax them to buyers from the comfort of your condo in Mexico. It beats driving around to elevators whoring out your pails of wheat.
                  Drives me nuts, farmers bragging about their new combines, no interest for 18 months, yield monitor, and they can't even spend $500.00 to know what they have to sell. Then they moan like ******* in public because they are getting screwed. ****ing stupid.

Comment

Local elevator is sending all wheat samples to head office for FN test. This is Richardsons. I don't know what Paterson or Viterra are doing.

Comment

They must have one awful big lab. That would be a pile of samples to do FN tests on, in the next month or so. The equipment has to be thoroughly cleaned between each sample to make sure no X contamination.

Comment

Suspect that falling number and mycotoxin varies considerably from field to field and bin to bin.
                        Even protein tests can
                        vary from load to load taken from same bin.
                        Have found elevator people to be generally good about getting accurate tests.

Comment

Agree with quality variance even within field, bin and even a single load.
                          If they are going to by on FN and prot maybe we should only accept a sample from a cross cut sampler, like the CGC does.
                          Never could figure out why when elevators ship/sell the sample HAS to be from a certified crosscut but when we sell a probe is good enough.

Comment

I took a Durum sample to Viterra. They graded it #5 with 4% Fuz and 10.5 ptotein, 18% moisture. They said all Durum around Regina is same kind of sample. We took off about 20,000 bus of dry Durum, so we can blend it off?

I aLso sent 2 quart sample to Montana state lab. It will be interesting to see what they say. I will keep you posted. They say 1week turn-around.

Comment

When Viterra moved into Australia they tried to buy visually, the growers rebelled and forced them to install and use falling numbers for a purchasing spec.

As for fusarium its a mess.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...