• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop problems australia

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop problems australia

Grain growers in the central and western plains of New South Wales are finding widespread damage to their wheat crops after a dozen severe winter frosts.

Canola is being cut to hay or silage, and some farmers are saying up to 80 per cent of their wheat crop could be a write-off.

Jock Coupland, who has a combined dry land and irrigated farm on the banks of the Lachlan River, 40 kilometres west of Condobolin.

The former agronomist has 3000 acres of wheat and 1500 of canola and grows irrigated cotton.

Standing in a field of wheat, he says that stem frosting is widespread in his wheat crops.

"There's some distinct things going on here.

"We've got these new tillers that are coming from the base of the plant and they're a bit odd, they actually come in on the plant just beside the main stem inside the leaf sheath.

"They're re-tillering, when you pull that apart, you can see the bottom node, the stem itself has been completely frosted, so that's starving the main stem for moisture.

"That's a big concern, and it seems to be irrespective of sowing date.
    He says that his frost-affected canola has compensated since good rain in early August.

"Before the rain it was kind of running out of moisture and I reckon the crop was pretty much a write-off, but since the rain, we had 32 mm of rain on it, it's been flowering for a fortnight now, so I am thinking that the damage level is probably 50 per cent of the crop," he says.

Condobolin farmer Roger Todd says the financial cost will be big as they doubled their crop this year because of the early autumn break.

"I'm guessing half our wheat, by the looks of things, is almost fully wiped out.

"I mean minus five, minus six and all night, frozen for ten or twelve hours, it's like putting a plant in a freezer all night and trying to thaw it out the next day and see if it will keep growing.

"Given that we had a full profile, we thought, right, let's double up and try and make some money while it's raining.

"The frost put an end to that," he said.

The most damaging frosts occurred in late July.

While many farmers sowed early in the region, Mr Todd's wheat was sown between the 5th and the 7th of May.

But he says that, even with a late sowing date, it would have been almost impossible to escape damage in these frosts.

Cutting open a stem, Mr Todd says the frost has stunted the growth of the wheat.

"We've got a full tiller here with the flag leaf emerging and on track looking fine, but then you go and cut that stem open and, between the first and second node, the head has stalled and it's only about 30 millimetres long.

"Normally that head would be out over the next two weeks, so somewhere along the line it's been frozen and it's just stopped developing," he said.

Mr Todd estimates his wheat crop would have yielded one tonne to the acre or 2.5 tonnes to the hectare.

He says that there's no real way for him to recover costs.

"For us, there's no real way of recouping any of this wheat down here. We can't graze it because we've got no fences down here because it's our continuous cropping country.

"I've been told that hay is a no-go...I've been told that you need to get that head to get out of the boot, otherwise it won't cure.

"Silage, that's no good for us because we don't own livestock.

"There's really no options for us, except maybe a brown manure, spray it out," he said.

Mr Todd says that canola crops in the region were also hit hard, with one neighbour cutting 250 acres to hay.

Further east, the frost damage isn't as widespread, but one grain grower just north of Parkes, has a faba bean crop that's been hit hard.

Mark Swift, from Tichborne, says that the morning after a minus four degree all night frost in late July, he woke up to find his faba beans had halved in size.

'We had a crop of faba beans that were about 60 centimetres and were just starting to flower, they had minus four on them, the next day they were 30 centimetres high.

"We've now had ten or twelve days of warm weather, they're starting to bend around and there'll be something there.

"They'll be exposed to more disease risks and they'll be harder to harvest, but we may get away with that one.

Rohan Brill, research agronomist from DPI says the last thing people want to see is more frosts in September, but that is the window when frosts are most prevalent.

"Frosts have hit grain growers in the central and western plains areas of New South Wales hard."

But he said "the western Riverina and Riverina districts have also been hit hard as well".

"The toll is still unknown, to some extent, but some crops may have suffered frost damage of up to 80 per cent," he said.

"If we get some rain that will help, and in the last ten weeks in the Riverina we have seen virtually no useful rain.

"Most crops in this region, and for that matter, the state could really use a drink."

Mallee

Mow it and let it come back from the bottom.

When winter wheat gets decked here in a hard June frost... This can make it rehead. And on Canola. Bloom again.

Summer is coming soon... So much for global warming!

All the best!

Comment

Why do you want it back? Not satisfied with what they are doing with the money? I realize people think they need it more than the commissions, and rightfully so.

Isn't there a tax credit for the R&D portion of some check offs? Probably not worth the effort.

Comment

The return on investment in plant breeding is supposed to be about 20:1. Check with whichever org you are talking about first to see if the are doing something you disagree with before you refuse to invest.

Comment

'if they are'

Comment

Saskflax takes a check off and then sent the bill for the triffid fiasco got sent to the farmers.

Comment

If the ROI on checkoffs were 20:1, they shouldn't have to keep taking the checkoff.

It should be self sustaining.

I might have to call bullshit on that line of thinking.

Comment

Most of the check-off organizations have a set time period after the end of the collection period to return the refunds. For Alberta Canola it is 90 days after the end of the period. Growers should check with the appropriate organization for the correct time frame. If you have question about an Alberta Canola refund please call toll free 1-800-551-6652.

With regards to the return on breeding; while I am not familiar with the 20:1 fugure, the estimates of ROI on breeding/research are always calculated with the return being to the farmer that paid the check-off, not the organization.

Ward Toma
                General Manager
                Alberta Canola

Comment

Hi there,

Related to this discussion, if you have a question regarding your refund with Alberta Barley, please do not hesitate to call our office at 403-291-9111.

For all of your reference, Alberta Barley refunds our check-off within 120 days from the date the refund request was received.

Cole Christensen
                  Communications Manager
                  403-219-6253

Comment

Many of the Commissions started as member organizations funded by voluntary, up front membership fees. They never had the finaicial ability to fund the work the farmers wanted to do.

Comment

That would be interesting. The seed Co's share of cost and ROI compared to farmers share and ROI. And the break down on how that is arrived at.

Comment

The whole supply chain profits and we all know MORE than farmers that take the RISKS, we should NOT have check offs! Let the rest fund research that makes them more money, I get SFA ROI.

Comment

Automatic check offs from a producer grain cheque but 120 days after the producer requests it back.

I wish all these groups would ask for the money and wait 120 days for the request to be processed at my farm.

For instance the wgrf received 70 million from a freight adjustment a few years ago. With a 20:1 roi that would be a 1.5 billion return to the farmers.

In 2010 the unseeded benefit only cost all levels of government a billion dollars to keep farmers in business for another year due to excess rain.

Just some perspective on the value of money.

Comment

Give me a break.

Comment

I don't think the big farms benefit either. They probably buy seed and dedicate land to grow seed to make the change.

They to have to be careful, changing to an unproven seed could be a disaster.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...