• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caution

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caution

Preditory pricing season opened.

They're sure trying to get their hands on some cheap durum. $5.90 for a three 12px with premiums applying if better is delivered(some texts don't even discuss poorer quality). Writing the premiums into the contract? Now you're locked into them and if the meek don't stand up to misgraded grain, they get you there AND arbitrarily get to decide the premium! Who signs up for this?

Amazing how things can change when they're short tonnes for unit trains.....

I'll be the first to admit I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm not a complete fool either. At what point do we become labeled "hard to deal with", "B (or C) listed" or a "high maintenance customer"? Who cares, I'm not a doormat.

Comment

At the West coast aug 8th #1 13px durum quotes were at $11.60/bus

And note, Canola same time, same place was 11.08/bus

http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/industry-markets-and-trade/statistics-and-market-information/by-product-sector/crops/crops-market-information-canadian-industry/weekly-price-summary/?id=1378745200250

Comment

Its called Canada Made.
        BS pricing on Prairies for our excellent product.
        Awsome world price for our excellent product.
        Payment on Prairies same as BS FEED WHEAT WORLD PRICE.
        We are getting screwed up the ass so bad for suck a long time.
        Ritz did justice by getting us out of the CWB but he forgot one thing.
        Believing that the grain companies would do the honest thing and price accordingly.
        Ha were getting F$%ked so bad on price its not even funny.
        I blame the whole situation on Ritz. The putz never thought the whole thing through.
        We farmers need to force grain companies to list how much they have and how much they get paid for grain when its sold. Information then farmers can do the right thing.
        All pricing is of Minneapolis wheat.
        Yea the American has info but Canada doesn't.

Comment

I'd like to know why the new CWB has an in store port, Pool Return Outlook of $9 something, when everyone else is reporting elevenszees? Are they still having to honour low price, long term supply contracts?

Comment

Easy to blame it on old Ritz but why does he have to do the thinking for you? Didn't take a genius to see the grain companies would try to get it as cheap as possible. Previous generations discovered grain companies wouldn't "do the honest thing" hence they set up a farmer controlled marketing agency - the CWB.
            Why do you expect it to be any different dealing with the same companies in an era when these large companies have more power, more market share and more political influence than they've ever had?

You make your bed you lie in it - enjoy your "marketing freedom"

Comment

Many on here wanted CWB gone and anyone one standing up for the CWB was attacked constantly. Europeans USA,and Quebecers set up farmer co-ops all the time for different commodities. We had one, which needed to be improved not dismantled.

I'll bet 75%on here were behind Rits's move all the way. Now many of the same supporters to dismantle CWB are on here calling Ritz an idiot. What did expect from Ritz, he couldn't make it as a farmer so why would he be concerned about you as a farmer. He had no plan B because the WWGA didn't have one for him. That's who has Ritz's ear and draws up the game plan. Did you honestly think the grain companies were going to work with farmers and for farmers.

And, yes I'll admit I'm no marketing expert far from it.

Comment

Can remember the same type of criticism about Otto Lang when a liberal government took some first steps to free up grain marketing.
                One NFU type threatened to get a gun and go and shoot him but I said that sounded kind of severe.

Comment

I'm not defending or running down anyone's opinion about the CWB. I was a supporter at heart but it was far from perfect. No buyer, CWB, Inland Terminal or Special Crop Buyers are immune from the topic at hand. Tried to sell a few hundred bushels of green peas that didn't fit in full bins, was offered $7.50 from a company that bought all my greens last year(point is I did business with them, not like asking someone whose never seen any product from me for a favor) It's just that time of year....

Comment

The Sask3's of the world will always have something to complain about. The CWB the grainco's ect. If it was raining silver dollars they would complain about the noise

Comment

Forage.
                      Glad to hear you recognize the WCWGA is so influential.
                      I wish minister Ritz's office and staff would share your viewpoint.

In truth if they had listened closer we would be better off as an industry. As it is, our industry is a work in progress, as it's always been

If you were Minister what would you do for grains, pulses and oil seeds. How would that affect other sectors?

BTW for $300 tax in you to can be a member of this very influential group.
                      www.wheatgrowers.ca

Comment

Here's the problem re Green peas at $7.50, and believe me i question making any comment on peas. Plants are booked with sales, in some cases to Xmas and when they buy green peas right now at $7.50, there is a pretty good chance they don't have the ability right now to make a new forward sale. So they back the price off to get people to not sell it. They try and drop it low enough to discourage anyone from selling and reduce their own risk if they do sell.

Many special crop plants have a ton of sales on the books because growers pushed into those acreage and new crop programs are huge. Bigger then i have ever seen.

Comment

Understandable Dave. But I bet when it is finally understood how bad the pea crop is in some parts of Western Canada, things are going to change. I live in an area that grows green peas and there are VERY FEW good pea crops here. There may be some fireworks in this crop again and make my $8.00 prepriced peas look like a real bargain. With that said it was my choice and no one held a gun to my head....

Comment

You may be correct on the market, but if the company can not lay risk off they are doing the right thing by not paying some price that "could" be workable. Companies go broke (and lots of special crop companies have) by not managing their risk. I can name a number of people that went broke because of this. I have said it before and i say it again, managing cash grain positions without futures markets is not for the faint of heart.

Comment

I don't understand You back the price off so that farmers won't sell then say the risk is too high to make sales, when you don't have product signed up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...