• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Time!!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Time!!!!

Enough of the whining and moaning!!!! Don't you guys remember what harvest is all about? Harvest is the reward for the years hard work. Enjoy running those machines with your families and friends and forget about the $$$$ for a little bit. Harvest always has been fun even in the crappy years. If your not having fun it's time to quit!!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing my kids help bring in the crop. If your a true farmer harvest is our Christmas.

So harvest was fun in 2002 or 2004 when it froze! Really got a kick out of those two years! Still roll around just thinking about it!
    Yea your right harvest is fun, enjoyable, fricking awsome, but in reality the weather decides If you finish or not!
    Good luck!

Comment

I can't comment on Saskatchewan but Alberta weather I follow isn't really that bad. Yes some potentially showery days but nothing except stuff that will slow us down. Things change day to day but the areas of central Alberta are pretty far long. Some peas being combined, lots of canola swathed and cereal not far from being straight combined. The hot summer temperatures will have had impact on yield. Wet weather would cause sprout but at present, the weather looks more unsettled/showers than full on rain. A freeze would have an impact on (bran frost) but again is pretty far along.

Comment

I guess when your running your farm like a multibillion dollar conglomerate and family and freinds are not in sight it would not be quite the same. Im loosing sympathy for those that take on to big of a buisness and try to flash the FARMER CARD. If you loose your shirt its your own fault. My grandfather told me once "dont spend more than your willing to lose". Yes, those frost years were terrible but that is in the past. I can say you are way to stressed out if your still having nightmares about 2002 and 2004.

Comment

Pulling out combines and swathers multiple times on a quarter is loads of laughs alright.

Comment

Pulling out combines and swathers multiple times on a quarter is loads of laughs alright.

Comment

Been there, you can keep complaining. Hope it drys out soon .

Comment

No farm is the same, no person is the same. We are all going to have different outlooks on harvest for many reasons. Good crops, bad crops, no help, lots of help, wet mud, dry dirt, concern over financial survival, no money issues, how many crops one has grown in their career.

Me, I am getting kinda excited to go. I just hired a casual guy which is amazing for me. It will be the first time I have had steady help with harvest in my 23 crops I have weathered through.

Had I not found help, I would have been quite concerned and not very excited at all. Combining and hauling by yourself gets old fast. But as it is looking, it is just so much better having two guys out there, so I am less concerned.

Breadwinner, Have your kids helped much before this year? Because once they start, it will be an awesome thing to share with them. I remember as a kid with dad. It was an awesome thing to get old enough to help him out. I wish I woulda had more seasons with him. Squished into the old 95 combine was an experience. My kids have a few years to go, but when they are available to help out, I will need a couple more combines, a grain cart, and... Then I will need more land, too. lol!

Comment

I just don't find the fun in stuck equipment and wrecking things pulling it out. Sorry if that makes me out to be an asshole. Nothing against you breadwinner. Not to mention the fact that pulling out stuck equipment is so dangerous. I can't believe there aren't more injuries over doing that.

Comment

Bread winner when you walk a mile in a flooded area farmers shoes then you can judge. 8 years of this shit. And yes 2002 and 2004 do live in my memory, having a crop die the first week of august sort of does that. No bran frost just frozen shit? Till then don't.
                    Also it doesn't matter the size of the farm the section guy got f$&ked just as bad as the 40000 acre guy.
                    You don't understand rain and what it does. 75 mill last weekend and you have new challenges, you adapt but give me a dry 10 years and wo ho ! Party on Garth!

Comment

Sk your correct every time you hook up a tow rope you cringe. Yes surprised more of us don't get hurt. Today twice sunk the sprayer and it's just day one of desiccating wheat. Lots of fun breadwinner lots of fun.

Comment

Ah - we all have our shit at times - just covered 1000 ac peas - combined 305
                        Great fun all over. 65 last year 10 ish this year. Last 8 years ave 55,000 to 65,000 bus this year actualy less than 10,000 - 9700 ish
                        SF - sorry, but you continue to piss and moan like your the only area on earth with issues - wake the *** up - we all have issues - have you ever been through a 4 year drought - no - eh??..... Yes mud is horrible but stop fukin whinning like your the only one that has hardships - so sick of it. I would say freewheat has had 50% more shit times than you - easy.
                        Yes some are more fortunate than others at times - always will be the story in western Canada. Always someone with a shit story - it is what it is - just don't shit on those that are "lucky" - it's not there fault for Christ sake..
                        I know I don't anymore - good on em as far as I am concerned..
                        Some of your posts almost drip with hate that you wish that " all us out west have sprouted grain and ****ed up this or that" really??? - ask us out here, don't throw darts from there. You loose credibility doing it - I have done it.
                        Quality still good here - and no sprouted grain - fusarium will be an issue - how bad ??? Sclerotina is taking a big chink for sure - but all is not lost here into hell.
                        IMO my guess on canola being off 20% from last year is now 30% plus and peas will be down 40% ave yields- add or delete acres if you wish. Too many peas 10 or less in this entire area and no 50 -70's.

Comment

My 50 looking peas went 28. Was the best looking peas in the area. There are some I don t know why they are not worked down.

Comment

My 50 looking peas went 28. Was the best looking peas in the area. There are some I don t know why they are not worked down.

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...