• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling Forage out....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Forage out....

K Forage....carrying on from a previous thread...a question was posed whether to buy paper now or not.
    IMO and what I did, I flipped old canola inventory into july 2015 paper for about 30 bucks to me...based on basis offering and futures without carry. Seemed like a no brainer to me but I might be proved wrong, but I know I'm no worse off than holding old crop in bin going forward. Downside risk july 15 is small IMO...at this point in time.... but fireworks are going to be in the front. 50 bucks a tonne one way or the other. Mite miss cash opportunity short term on frost scare, but the market has been pretty resilient to blow off any and all fundamentals. Futures lift on a scare likely maintains sideways cash till new year while basis erodes since the pipeline is likely full of forward contracts through harvest pressure. Any rally potential will be short covering rally give circumstances...and likely met with increased farmer selling. If full blown frost event..all bets off. IMO trade way to short at these futres levels and I don't think farmer selling new crop is huge....market is giving the old crop holders a free pass right now on account of/respecting the risk associated with even a normal frost. They are ponying up now thru basis to get supply till new year while trying to line up the paper thru to Nov 15. IMO, trade is underestimating current producer resolve.
    Wheat...basis has improved in the deffereds... but carry in suggesting "supply" is thought to be ample. We'll see on this one, but I still would not play short wheat at these levels...but that's just me. Downside risk for quality is small IMO. Kansas still premium to Minny which makes no sense, given the current risk associated with quality. I think I want to be a holder of physical quality stocks, now and into this winter....so no trade here.
    Feed...be it wheat, corn, barley, oats....I think the trade has lined things up to depress feed (more to do with livestock fundamentals and macroeconomic objectives) and I think "quality" should be preserved. Lining up to be ugly feed $. Only hedge is short corn, but for us....doesn't work. If I was feed buyer in US, I mite buy futures as a hedge cause it sure seems awfully cheap, but the US price discovery/mechanics/politics I don't fully understand. As such, logistics and Canadian made issues will generate a cash price, and that's about as good as its going to get for us. Such disconnect between US corn cash and relevancy to Canadian feed market given the politics.
    Anyway....I'm throwing my opinion out there....

If I understand you sold all your canola from 2013 crop year and have bought a call option for July 2015.
    Did you use July 2015 canola or July 2015 soybeans for this?

Comment

sold old crop physical into nov 14 and bought back July 15 futures as paper replacement...Never considered options as would have been very pricey given fundamental risk and time value. Chose to ride futures...might be wrong move but time will tell. Really had no intentions to sell/move physical at these levels until the market entered inverted territory and/or my new crop production looked like it would cover my deferred contract obligations. I don't consider this to be a speculative move.

Comment

Mbdog calling me out? For what a gun fight' fist fight or just a beer.

I decided to let your thread take it's owe course before answering.

Read your marketing synopsis there two important things

1) record corn crop USA, wheat now follows corn
        2) record bean crop USA, canola follows beans

You stated
        Wheat...basis has improved in the deffereds... but carry in suggesting "supply" is thought to be ample. We'll see on this one, but I STILL WOULD NOT PLAY SHORT WHEAT AT THESE LEVELS...but that's just me. Downside risk for quality is small IMO. Kansas still premium to Minny which makes no sense, given the current risk associated with quality. I think I want to be a holder of physical quality stocks, now and into this winter....so no trade here.

Lining up to be ugly feed $. ONLY HEDGE IS SHORT CORN, but for us....doesn't
        work.

Just wondering isn't this a contradiction. I'm no marketing expert so not sure.

As for your canola move I wish you luck

Comment

Just a call to re-engage Tom's original thread/question which I thought was very important issue on the minds of many producers. Threw up a pissy topic heading...cause I get pissy when anything "commodity marketing" gets derailed on AV. Looks like I/it just registered high on the prick o meter...
          Anyway...
          Wheat...sure can/will take lead from corn, depends on who's spinning. But I wouldn't short wheat cause I think quality issues could come into play and hopefully it plays out in futures like its supposed to. Not going to know how much enters feed channels for a while, but you got to think, and you would hope, futures responds accordingly. Again if the powers that be want to diverge corn vs quality wheat it can be done. Minny wheat has tremendous range possibility on the charts, and I don't think for a second its a one off anomaly. Cashing in 10-20$ future range when it gets there again will be fully a function of quality. Will be very few producers/bushels ever allowed to fully capitalize on that kind of lift. I'm giving the minny wheat chart a lot of respect for its upside potential...maybe too much, too soon.
          Corn...not working for us...not a real clean hedge vs cash but best relative thing we got. My point is holding short or long corn may not directly work for ones with frozen wheat, fuzzy wheat/barley, sprouted....Can get a feed wheat cash relative to something, but when I ask off what futures... or can I just have basis?, usually get a blank look. Maybe we need a feed index to trade. Maybe if you produce feed you're screwed unless you grow corn and that will never change. But if you grew feed barley in Western Canada, how do you effectively short paper/hedge? And if the Western Canada macro agenda involved creating a feed glut through a combination of grading and logistics, how is a short/long US corn help us?

Comment

Forage...No expert here either, just trying to figure things out day to day. Thx for canola well wishes. Need all the help I can get.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...