• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusarium

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, turning up combine fan speeds, and tightening up sieves dont help, tombstone kernals can be same size, density. Maybe if i blew out 25% of good yield i could get my fusarium down one or two percent. Idiot provincial govt crop advisors keep using this reccomendation.

Comment

I agree, turning up combine fan speeds, and tightening up sieves dont help, tombstone kernals can be same size, density. Maybe if i blew out 25% of good yield i could get my fusarium down one or two percent. Idiot provincial govt crop advisors keep using this reccomendation.

Comment

The way fusarium is graded is a joke. Visual symptoms do not correlate with DON levels. Between midge, frost, drought, etc, etc, etc there is no shortage of excuses to downgrade wheat. Bushnell weight, % plump should be the driving factors. If fus is suspected then DON should be tested for.

Comment

I agree that grain should be marketed/sold as to specs. But, if I put myself in the customers' position and get a sample or shipment with visible fusarium, low DON or not I say "no thanks".

The customer is always right, even when they're wrong.

Comment

I agree somewhat but fus is gradded harder due to DON toxicity. If there is actually no DON then it would be downgraded on more utilitarian purposes. I understand the milling implications of lower uniformity, wrinkled bran and so on but I've seen years where 64lb feed wheat is bought and spun around to the mill. I believe grain should be bought and sold based on its fitness for its intended use. These are analytical measurements that are easy agreed upon and far more consistent than the grade 9 drop out grading at the elevator based on visual factors.

Comment

I agree somewhat but fus is gradded harder due to DON toxicity. If there is actually no DON then it would be downgraded on more utilitarian purposes. I understand the milling implications of lower uniformity, wrinkled bran and so on but I've seen years where 64lb feed wheat is bought and spun around to the mill. I believe grain should be bought and sold based on its fitness for its intended use. These are analytical measurements that are easy agreed upon and far more consistent than the grade 9 drop out grading at the elevator based on visual factors.

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...