• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold

Was -0.1C here this morning. Was -1.3C on June 6th. Not a long gap between last spring and first fall frost.

That would just be devastatation if we get a hard frost now. Where are you located grass farmer?

Some nasty hail rolled thru near us again yesterday. So far only one small field of canola got touched up. Temp dropped from 24 to 11 in five minutes.

Comment

Grassfarmer is smart to grow grass when it can freeze any month of the year where he is! Beef production is much less risky in western Alberta.... from weather issues at least.

I am hopping this 'global warming' thing works out for us... but climate change folks tell us it can go both ways at the same time!

Out here is the 1960's it could go from plus 30c in the day... to -4c at night in mid August. So I am told by the old timers... not sure how much embellishment has been added!

Cheers!

Comment

Record Low for today -1 in Camrose-Killam Vegreville Mundare Two Hills today... in 1985. Cold slid east tomorrow in 1985.

Looking at the DTN jet stream tracks... Alberta is on the SE track down... centre of continent in the big bulge hanging down over MB MN ND. Cool pattern from arctic.

Strange how Winterpeg got 200mm all 2014 growing season... while Braveheart and west (SW MB - SE SK) of him got that much in one week.

Comment

That's the us model tom. The European model looks much better. I'm crossing my fingers the European one verifies.

Comment

We are west of Rimbey, AB on the western fringe of the cultivatable land. Should be grass country but all around its been turned to crops. Pastures a couple of miles away that were broken up last fall, seeded late to canola, thin crop that was in full bloom a week ago - how is that going to make out with our early frosts - how is it going to work out economically?

Looks like you are taking all our moisture Tom. Only at 156mm since the snow left, norm is 258mm to end of July.

Comment

Ah Rimbey, beautiful country there. Hard to grow frost free crops west of #2 highway most years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...