• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report!

Well its been another interesting week. Last Friday left for the lake after hauling grain and hit a monster storm just north of Yorkton. Wind and rain, found a leaky roof when finally arrived. and 3.5 in gauge up their. With shallow roots do to the flooding a little rain now and then helps fill. Not to hot days and the roots can go down. Well last week was warm and muggy and some early flowering on canola was shutting down. Sorry the new super varieties are like the old any thing over 28 and their is some drop the higher the temp and flowering stops.
    The farm received 2 tenths all week but yesterdays storm to the west of us was so unique it wasn't even funny. Started early in the morning east of Regina running NE then as it got close to the Qu'Appelle Valley it seemed to back up towards Cupar then moved east a bit dumped three inches on Lipton then moved north till Leross then headed East again. Not much hail just a very nice end of season rain.
    We got a tenth, Oh well it was fun to watch.
    Canola the past week has seen early fields shut down and are podding the very early that were strong before the floods hit did ok with the flooding. The Canola seeded around the May long that was just starting to grow took the flooding awful is the only way to describe these fields. The late Canola looked real good on last Friday with full bloom (even hailed out 6 quarters was in full bloom). The late canola is showing signs of shutting down but is taller healthier and bigger pods than the middle seeded. Less pods than early but bigger pods. Needs a drink in the next week to help with larger seed set.
    Soy had a great week again. Plants have hit the fun stage where they are the dark green and big leaf and flowering and setting pods. So far it looks like they are podding about 6 inches up. They have been flowering for two weeks and last year they just started now. Could be interesting. Have one field clean as a whistle and one with RR Canola in it. Its a learning curve.
    Flax had a week similar to Canola it stopped blooming and is variable. Some that were hit by hail not going to be nice. Flood damage is showing up with thinner stands, but the well drained fields are awesome.
    Peas and Lentils again in same category because their either two camps for this crop and don't let the experts tell you different theirs the WTF happened and Wow WTF happened to the that's a nice looking crop. Large Carry over for peas I cant see how since every one is out of peas except the odd older guy that didn't get in on the high prices for peas last fall. Lots of peas are seeded at over three bushels and flooded out.
    Lentils in the areas I travel their isn't a decent one yet that I have seen and the ones that are out their seem ok but no bumper yield.
    Oats and barley is kind of in the same camp. Very little grown in the areas I travel. Early oats and Barley that was established before the floods is awesome to the odd poor drainage quarter at WTF. The late Barley and oats has problem with very few stools. Big Big heads but very few stools. To much water. Could do ok on late but its no last years yields at all.
    Durum, those that grew it and baby sat it look like they might do ok but as hopper said fusarium is showing up and the elevators are salivating on this already a grading factor that we can make a fortune on. So three might be out their on Durum and if fusarium is all way over to swift and southern Alberta then blending could be a issue. Yield wise it is nice but not even close to last year.
    HRS is looking good yet with potential but again last years yield that we had are not in the cards. Stools are not as many as last year per plant but so far the main head is filling and has spikelet's like last year with similar rows. One rain to help finish and fill and push it along would be nice. Potential is their for a average with flooded out areas being taken into account. If you seeded a 150 and harvest 120 you still spent money on the 150. Have scouted lots of fields and very little fusarium so far as of last night in our area.
    So to sum up the week, some got that final rain of the season that helps with plump big seeds might screw up protein on HRS but plump seeds. Flowering is over on most crops even that late ones are shutting down. Heat has helped push the crop along but its still a long way to the finish line. No bug infestation on radar.
    Actually was a nice week but only thing is after Canola is off bloom the Ugly fields come back to reality. Flowering fields fool most people into thinking its straitened out. Flooded short sick plants still flower.
    The experts can tell us its all rosy and its great out their feed the world its running out of food BS. But reality is this years crop with out a frost will be less than last was. Just because mother nature has dealt a different hand.
    Have a great week and keep safe its just a fricking farm.

Did you hang around until Monday afternoon for the other 3 inches of rain near the the lake?

Comment

Yes I did, I have to say I was the only one left on the Dunes and it never hit the South side, Awsome pictures of the storm.

Comment

We lost 1 quarter to hail last night.

Shitty canola with hail insurance.

Wheat awesome peas getting to that stage where they turn ugly... Real good stand. Oats late but good

Comment

1.4" torrential downpour in 45 minutes yesterday, not needed. Very spotty heavy rains all week. Up to 7" from a T-storm that sat parked all night SE of Naicam. Hail in those areas also. From no flowers to full bloom canola. Lots of great late oats, but the wild ones are in all of it, tall and ugly. Wheat is filling, shorter but potential, depends on final quality under grain co's microscopes. Dodge those storms guys!

Comment

Yea I like the one guy sending out market info that canola yields srabalized! He forgot hail and lots out their!

Comment

Monday Storm hit RM of Pleasantdale/RM of Barrier Valley Monday fairly hard over a six hour period.
              4-7" of rain with an hour of pea size hail. (Two separate blasts). The hail adjusters will be busy there now.
              (The north edge of RM of Spalding/Ponass Lake were hit during this time as well.)

Meanwhile the weather network said 20% chance of rain!!

Comment

Sask you get anything in the past few hours.

Environment canada ****in blows also,0 to 60% chance of severe weather in an hour.

I got a bad feeling about today.

Comment

Cotton. The morning started out foggy that bins at the end of the yard were a dim silhouette. At nine I could here distant thunder. By ten it was raining and half hour later there was about 7 tenths. I hope I get a chance to combine this crop before the great white combine gets to it. Mind you, if I had more insurance I wouldn't care if the peas got 100% hail.

Comment

Monday we had a 10% chance of a shower and got 4.5 tenths in 20 mins. Not needed. Peas in this area are done do to disease. Fields are turning dark brown more every day

Comment

No watching sky! Looks bad SE! Were in a weather advisory! Funny I want 1 inch to finish this one out! 1 tenth yesterday! Nothing today! Sitting in line at elevator waiting and waiting and waiting! Filling jan contract! Ha ha!

Comment

we had 8-10 inches of rain in juse and 15mm in july.

Comment

Sounds familiar bgm. 10 inches in june and 2 inches in the last 40 days. Surprisingly crops are not total right offs. Canola is late but doesn't look too bad. Hoping will be around 35 some better some poorer. Wheat looks good but won't be last year. Hoping for 50's as long as there is no cold frosty stuff. Flax looks good and Soys look good but will need til mid sept to have a decent yield. Overall our area has below normal canola and average wheat as long as frost stays away. Desicating won't be happening til end of month at the earliest. Good luck to all.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Kassi_Lee

Just happening

Comment

Hail west of Killam, 7 tenths with the storm... branches all over the place this morning. Peas down to 8-12 inches off ground from 2-3 feet... Canola well lodged (2 feet) now so straight cutting would be easy... just like one of those pushers does to stop shattering.

Wheat in soft dough and last 2 days has changed colour as it ripens. Came back up a good 1-2ft during the day... as did much barley that was flat this morning.

The great equalizer in maturity 2014... heat and water has really brought our crops along fast.

An amazing year... fabas look great and filling very nicely. Flax is almost done blooming... nice and thick and lodged.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...