• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Canada crop yields

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey. I just got 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes, that's gotta make it a bin buster, right???

But never mind the fact I didn't get my crop sprayed at the right time and the extra top up fertilizer on either. Its ****ed - really.

Comment

Klause where would you actually get your durum number? If BS were gold you could retire... Paging HOPPER !!!! Be careful the shit from your neighbor is at danger of flowing into your yard ...

Comment

Wheat in the area looks like 50
        Canola between 15-30
        Oats- awesome if it make it..

Barley 50 or less

Comment

Bucket,

Be careful about the 2 inters... sometimes they can surprise!

The western Canadian Prairies were developed... by grasslands... which do NOT fix N naturally.

So where did all the N come from... to build the soils we now farm?

Ever wonder how bin busters happen when the N was not applied by the grower... yet the folks harvesting got a big surprise???

That N came from the air... from big dumps of rain... that were loaded with N from lightning storms that brought the rain.

Is this quantifiable?

Difficult to say... storms a very variable. Agronomists that sell fert. seldom will admit that any significant N could come from the air in rain storms.

Yet year after year... after big rain events that had lightning and thunder every 10-30 seconds... sometimes for over an hour...you know the kind... has added massive N to crops on our farm.

Mother nature is still full of surprises... and just like with electricity and understanding how it works... the N cycle and rain is far from being well understood by those who think they know everything!

Cheers

Comment

That was 2 INCHERS... spellcheck got me...

Comment

We had massive storms with hail last summer.

Cwrs hailed by 3 storms... Went 80 with 15 percent protein at elevator.

CPS close to 100 with 11.5 plus protein. We applied average 90n at seeding.

Try to add that up in an N cycle calculator with 30 to 50 percent actual plants damaged by the hail storms.

Comment

Hey Tom... I have a spy checking out your crops today, so we will all know the truth by tonight..

Comment

J d green we ain't that far from durum country. Sprayed 2800 ac of it... judging by that and pics / touring around

Did you sneak a bottle onto location or what???

Comment

JD,

THX for letting me know!

You have probably had the same thing on early hailed crops... if the fall co-operates(late frost)... it is truly amazing what can happen.

BTW, last year did 2 different apps of fungicide... to stop leaf diseases. Peas last year went 55 with 33 percent hail... adjusted a couple of days before combined. The damage was real and easy to see. Two apps of different modes of action Fungicide on these as well.

Fortunately this year we have not needed to double on fungicide at Killam... on wheat on most of our acres (except by ball diamonds Penhold CPS had second app of Prosario) just headline at heading and priaxor on peas July 5 when they started flowering. At Sherwood Park wht had mostly Fuse (like Folicure) when headed for fusarium control.

Or Fabas at Sherwood had a bunch of headline when they had just started flowering...

The extra work usually pays off... especially when the hail damages the plants.(fungicide)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...