• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Canada Yields.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Canada Yields.

Since its summer and travel is easy with great road conditions, most have seen what's happening along the road ways, from one end of the prairies to the other.
    Some have huge crops coming and some have very very poor crops coming.
    From my drives its real simple, some might disagree but for the most part I think I have a handle on the crop.
    Crops like lentils and peas are basically way way way lower yielding with final results way below other years. When you have so many duds in peas and lentils out their vs few great its easy to see the final number. Its going to be low.
    Durum those who grew it are in for a nice crop. Maybe not the total that last year did due to timing of rains and heading but what's their is going to yield similar to last year or slightly less.
    Hrs is tough, those that seeded early and fed it and looked after it are in for a nice crop. Flooded areas have excellent HRS coming and only thing this year is huge areas of field that will be dry and have no production with areas of high yield on rest of field. So 55 to 60 on higher ground minus flooded gives a 40 over all on field. Rest that didn't flower is great with good potential so HRS will be a little less than last year but real close.
    Soy is the only crop that really seems to survive better in floods. Canola and peas and lentils don't like excess water in spring. I feel our yield this year will be higher than last by 30% do to three things. One is better earlier varieties. Two seeding a week earlier. Three flowering two weeks earlier and no hail damage. Last two weeks of dry weather and heat helped that out.
    Soy will be higher in Canada than last year.
    Flax is wow and well on its way to take last years yield and beat it.
    Barley and oats are two crops that should or could hit last years total for yield but honestly I think some one didn't tell the truth on seeding intentions because you have to drive miles to see either of these crops. Traveling around they are the two crops that most seemed to say Piss on it Im not wasting time with Malt or Quaker oats and dropped.
    Canola, for all the expensive seed we use and all the expensive sprays for every thing from flee beetles to disease control the highest costing crop out their is going to surprise quite a few. Those that had 60 last year and expecting the same results this year might be disappointed and in the flooded area those who think a nice Yellow field is recovering but don't walk in and see its ankle high in some areas are also in for a disappointment. Some definitely did recover but last year was way way better weather to help a stressed crop out. The heat pushed it for two weeks which helped advance a late crop but its funny how most are now quickly shutting down after the weekend rain. This has me amazed.
    Canola lots was seeded like the experts say but over all the yield number their using is not going to be hit.
    Those that disagree with me here is a tid bit. Check out how many Chemical company seed plots across western Canada have had sites abandoned and only a few are left for field days. DAh don't think its a bumper in Canola.
    But over all the Billion Dollar Question is when will the first frost day come, if its August all bets are off. Similar if its October 1st all bets are off.
    What have others seen on their drives and yes when you stop for a piss maybe walk into guys fields along the highway and have a look not just do a 120 Kmph drive by.
    Ok now the experts will be out with their summary Thursday. Bruce Burnet and others are doing crop tours now lets see what they come up with.

Some nice wheat out there for sure...looks like recovered fairly well...but unseeded acres, lack of fungicide use equals less. This year vs last year...we never got the spring frosts that stooled the crop that led to the above average crop like last year. No way we come close to last year production. Quality will be the concern.
    When bloom comes off the canola, will come back to reality.

Comment

The Canola comment is so true. Their is nothing in farming more beautiful than a Canola field in full bloom. Except our wives.
      But a field that is already done in our area and every one was excited about now isn't as nice as we thought.
      Just a observation but I think were close to reality of what's out their.

Comment

Re Canola, What seems to be lacking is the "heavy crop lean" in my fields. Standing straight up. We even had a little over half an inch of rain in about 10-15 minutes with a heavy wind that didn't lean it over. I think they will be only an average crop. 60 on our ranch is only a dream---must be doing too much wrong or a dam poor farmer.

Comment

Coles notes version: overall production
          HRS Wheat - down 15% from last year - much higher variability in grade
          Canola - down 20% from last year - only 80% #1
          Peas - up 15% - due to larger acres
          Lentils - up 10% - huge range in grades
          Barley - up 20% -
          Oats - flat with way too many light frozen mt
          Soft wheat - up 5-10% - quality down
          Flax up 30%

Comment

East prairies.

Saskatoon east.

Canola 26
            Hrs 45
            Barley 53
            Oats 100
            Peas 35
            Beans 32

Comment

I challenge peas and lentils if on average were now at 50% if what I seeded due to flooding and hail and most on area are at 30% do to rain Ezra acres mean shit all in lentils and peas and canola flooded is the key that most are missing! Shit flooded out doesn't produce anything! Rather simple concept! Water water water weeks on end on top of a wet field seeded in mud equals SFA or skinny useless one to to pod plants in the fringe zone! If we had real Numbers on flooded area then it would be easy to get a number for the number pushers!
              Ah farming where the farmer knows what his crop is going to produce but the experts in offices know better!
              Frost like I said is the Billion Dollar Queation!

Comment

There will be a lot of 50 bus peas in the western 2/3 rds of the praries - it's that simple - pea acres up huge over last year in that area - simple again

Comment

Friend of mine is an agro/farmer in three hills... figures 80% of average which would be a 40 bpa crop there

Comment

there is so much disease in the small amount of good looking acres that the pea yield is going to be way way low.
                    2/3 of pea acres are crap in western Canada. of those 2/3 half are barely worth putting a machine on.
                    wheat is going to be monsterous crop again.

Comment

40 sounds right for all west of saskatoon as a min. Should be higher. Peas all nuts also. 8 dollar greens here thnking to take on some of it. Looks like a glut coming in canada but world supply and demand can be interesting for greens if they need them to replace something else that is short. Bagged greens or lentil will get movement in my opinion if the railroads decide again to move alberta crop first. How to get movement or price is a big million dollar question for different crops as they are grown in different zones.

Comment

I farm south of Yorkton. Based solely on my own farm I would predict

HRS 50 bpa.
                        CPS Wheat 65 BPA
                        General Purpose (Pasteur and Plentiful) 70-75 BPA. Cereals look quite good. Similar to last year with 10% or so of acres flooded out.

Oats 100
                        Peas 50 (fortunate the peas are on good, high well drained land)
                        Canola 20-25. Canola is a disaster. No need for further commentary. This might be high.
                        Soybeans 25-30. Becoming more a fan of beans all the time. Had a 15 acre piece by the house and had a little seed left in the drill. About 8 acres of the piece ended up totally under water. I don't mean water logged I mean you needed a snorkel to check the crop. Almost half of those beans survived. Very impressed.

Comment

I farm south of Yorkton. Based solely on my own farm I would predict

HRS 50 bpa.
                          CPS Wheat 65 BPA
                          General Purpose (Pasteur and Plentiful) 70-75 BPA. Cereals look quite good. Similar to last year with 10% or so of acres flooded out.

Oats 100
                          Peas 50 (fortunate the peas are on good, high well drained land)
                          Canola 20-25. Canola is a disaster. No need for further commentary. This might be high.
                          Soybeans 25-30. Becoming more a fan of beans all the time. Had a 15 acre piece by the house and had a little seed left in the drill. About 8 acres of the piece ended up totally under water. I don't mean water logged I mean you needed a snorkel to check the crop. Almost half of those beans survived. Very impressed.

Comment

I can't get over how good peas look on west side of province. Lentils and peas both have changed radically as long as frost free to end of Aug. West side only i am talking about. Lots of 50 bu pea potential i think. Some 30 bu canary potential. As i grew no durum i can only kick myself in the ass as it looks pretty good compared with how it started out in dry powder.

Comment

Dave good points, this year I wish we would have got back into durum. Think would have the right cocktails to get a decent crop again. If west has 50 bus pea and east most zero to 25 that leaves a average of 30 or less the pea total yield will be lower! Lentils in our area are shit. Also. Canola will be the one crop the experts will be shocked how low can we go.
                              Soy like the other guy said sat under water and after the water left still have rows. Canola it's dead for a 100 ft around the slough.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...