• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know?!?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you know?!?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this article by DR. Josh Axe.. Did you know there is no such thing as the Canola seed!? And that us Canadian's just invented the name Canola based on the term “Canadian oil low acid”.

http://draxe.com/canola-oil-gm/

Whats more concerning is the number of comments from people who THANKED him for the helpful information!Mind. Blown.

We will have doubts, who do you trust?
    I asked CFIA and here is their reply...

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the testing of trans fatty acids (trans fat) in vegetable oils and margarines.

The Food and Drug Regulations require the trans fat content of food to be declared in the Nutrition Facts table on product labels. The CFIA regularly monitors a variety of food products for trans fat content, including margarine and vegetable oil products.

CFIA testing procedures verify the compliance of products to this requirement at the point of sale. Compliance testing would not be conducted on heated oil samples after the point of sale, as this would not be reflective of the state of the product at the time is it purchased by the consumer. The amount of trans fat stated on margarine labels is the amount present in the product as sold to consumers. It is not the amount present in the oil used to create the margarine.

Trans fats occur naturally in small amounts (generally 2-5% of fat content) in certain foods such as dairy products, beef and lamb, and as a result of heating. The creation of trans fat during heating is dependant on several variables including the temperature, how long the oil is exposed to the heat, the type of oil, and even the foodstuff being fried. Trans fat is created most rapidly with saturated and poly-unsaturated oils. Canola oil, like Olive or Sunflower oil, have very high levels of mono-unsaturated fats. These oils are the most stable for frying, which means the creation of trans fat is minimized. Many margarines are made from these oils. There is an increasing number of food manufacturers and restaurants that are adjusting their processes to eliminate the addition of trans fat and to minimize the creation of trans fat during heat processing. For example, many have switched to using canola oil in their fryers because of its heat-stable properties.

The Food and Drug Regulations specifies the criteria for labelling foods as free of trans fat (see the table in section B.01.513, item 22). Foods labelled as trans fat free are permitted to contain an insignificant amount of trans fat (less than 0.2 g per serving) to allow for naturally or near naturally occurring levels. The CFIA website has more information on the labelling of trans fats.

More information on trans fat and the Government of Canada’s role is available on Health Canada’s website at www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/trans-eng.php.

Comment

I think my sarcasm was too subtle... and you missed my point?

Comparison of fat content in multiple cooking oils... why would you recommend coconut oil to anyone?
      http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryreference/a/fattable.htm

Comment

There is debate on saturated fats, they are not all the same. Lots recommend Coconut and Olive. Trans fat is my concern, when any oil is heated/processed. Comes down to who do you believe.

Canola Council tests here...

http://www.canolacouncil.org/oil-and-meal/canola-oil/culinary-qualities-of-canola-oil

Comment

Not really a debate,just people slowly waking up,kind of like carbs and sugar make you fat,saturated fats are good for you.

Comment

I use canola oil for frying, hempseed oil for baking and raw. I take two tablespoons hempseed oil a day straight out of the bottle. It tastes like sunflower seeds. Supposed to be good for you.
            I eat 3 tablespoons hemp hearts on oatmeal for breakfast everyday.
            I have gone all hippie. I never used to care about any of that stuff but over winter started to think about nutrition vs. stuff on the bunk ends at the grocery stores!

Comment

Hobby, are you growing hemp?

Comment

Dr oz was reprimanded for his antics by the senate ethics committee. Dr axe looks like his mini me.
                The problem is when the message becomes so prevalent for so long it's assumed as fact. How would one regulate these quacks? Should we?

Comment

If your dead serious about health and nutrition,crack open the pit of an apricot and eat the seed,and find out what it is.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...