• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow just a little nippy this morning!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow just a little nippy this morning!

Wow out this morning for a early haul, 7.5 at the lake as the sun came up. WTF summer is gone. Did I blink and miss it.
    The one thing farmers in western Canada don't need is feed grain this year. It's a quality year.
    But this morning reminded me that this crop has a long way to go and it sure felt like fall was just around the corner.
    Marketing a frost crop this year would have steep discounts. Let's just hope no pray we can get to mid point of September without the "FROST".

Canola would be devastated by a early frost since a large area is just in full flower now. Other crops like oats and barley that went in late would be a rite off. Like I said 6 more nice weeks would go a long way to helping this crop make it.

Comment

Yes, I noticed a couple weeks back already that the lawn growth has slowed usually doesn't happen until first week of Aug. Summer is winding down.

Comment

Down to 8.5 here, most oats just heading...Long way to go..

Comment

I would be betting on early killing frost. What is everyone doing just incase.

Comment

I have been saying that even before spring seeding,frost is going to get this crop.What have we done in case it does happen,we only seeded a 1/3rd of our normal acres to combine,and the other 2/3rds that isn't flooded we seeded to greenfeed for a lot of extra feed,and have bought a good portion of this winters barley for the feedlot already to insure that it is heavy barley.

Comment

I've sprayed fungicide on all my crop, except for the worst pea field, to make it even more susceptible to frost :-(

Comment

Frugality. Survival is based upon how frugal and how careful farmers are with spending. There is a reason land here WAS cheap to rent and buy. Iron debt adds to the worry.

Honestly, if folks get into trouble, they should ask themselves who held the gun to their heads when they were FORCED to buy ridiculously priced land, pay exhorbitant rent, or buy half million dollar , single pieces of machinery, sometimes two at a time...

If your crop insurance what if coverage does not cover ones cash flow needs, one either needs to trim back on stuff they do not require, or change the mindset.

DO NOT come crying to the taxpayer for a way out of a hole you yourself have dug.

That is my advice, and since it was asked what one can do to make things work, I thought I would give the can a kick. I know it is not popular, but we farmers have this mindset that we somehow "deserve" to have it all.

Life has dealt me enough rotten hands in my young life, and so thankfully I have learned to be frugal.

Be frugal guys. It takes me about 6 hours to combine enough canola to gather in the value of my machine I am sitting in. How many hours to gather in a cool half million?

We need to look inwardly. The problem is ourselves... Sorry.

Comment

Good points Freewheat. That is how we got to where we(on our farm) are today. In the early years I worked with a lot of old machinery(scars and bitched fingernails to prove it), did things the "unconventional" way, pinched pennies. I guess if things tighten up we have to use what we have and no trading "up", less fert and cheaper chem, stingy with the "groceries" it doesn't get it "just because" unless it really needs it. Hard to shave much off the lifestyle budget, I'm already low maintenance already. LOL

Comment

I planted mostly oats and barley late. Hopefully they sneak past and make a crop. I don't worry about the weather because I can't control it. Talking about it only increases my anxiety. I have feed barley and milling oat contracts in place with an act of God. I run antiques which helps with fixed costs, but not with income tax. So, a person has to choose where the money goes. Some people would prefer to drive a nicer, better machine and pay less to the government.

Comment

Am going to grease the threshing machine. It works like a mule. Won't owe me anything, Freewheat. McCormick. Penny Pincher Pars

Comment

In fact, betcha there would be a good capital gain on it if I sell it. Good working order and shedded. Should I use it or sell it? Pars

Comment

With a few later first fall frosts in a row, some farmers have pushed the seeding end dates to late June. This plus more fungicide and fertilizer used now would not go well with an early frost.

Comment

Comment

Freeheat, to your point, when I get all bullish and start feeling like I "deserve" an overpriced new piece of iron, there is a line in this song that sticks with me.

life in the fast lane....everything, all the time..!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...