• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gluten Free Oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten Free Oats

Grain Millers in Yorkton are looking for gluten free oats.

What varieties are gluten-free? Sounds very interesting since gluten-free is becoming so popular.

Comment

I think it means that the oats has been seeded on land that has not been seeded to wheat for a number of years so the oats has no volunteer wheat

Comment

Oat meal is gluten free. In processing gluten can be introduced if wheat or barley were in the same facility.
        Only Oats in Regina...http://onlyoats.squarespace.com/only-oat-oat-flour/

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreegrains/f/Is-Oatmeal-Gluten-Free.htm

Comment

Less than 1 kernel of wheat or barley per kg of oats.

We sold some last year...

Comment

I contacted a few people about growing gluten free oats. Those that I talked to say it is damn near impossible to meet the specs. I dont know I though it would be a great fit in my farm but either the person I talked to wanted to keep people from infringing or it is really difficult to achieve.

Comment

The person I talked to at only oats said you need to be a seed grower to sell to them. I see that they are producer owned, so perhaps you have to be an owner as well. It seems that onlyoats has a much more stringent requirements compared to some other buyers, in field inspections, pre-cleaned before delivery, etc... Has anyone sold to them before, thoughts/experiences.

Comment

It was just a suggestion. You can split hairs on AV all day, or....you can make a call, get the accurate information, send a proper bin sample and go from there.

Comment

Some people are so sensitive to Gluten that they can't even have a spec. of it, or eat food that has even touched gluten...No fun..

Comment

Oats themselves are gluten free, not like wheat and barley. But yeah seed-growers are generally the only ones with the processes in place to ensure no contamination. Avena Foods (Only Oats) in Regina has a 0% tolerance for wheat/barley contamination because they sell their product into the gluten free market oversees. You can't yet label oats as gluten free in Canada, since in most cases they aren't.

Comment

At this point, Grain Millers is not requiring you be a seed grower. Allowable in Gluten Free oats is 1 kernel of either wheat, barley, or rye in 1kg of oats (roughly an ice cream pail).

Comment

Grain Millers tolerance makes much more sense.
                        Zero tolerance just means they could not find in the sample or samples tested.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...