• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logging on land???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logging on land???

Have some land east of here near the forest fringe, and have been approached by a guy to log it for Louisianna pacific. About 100 acres of timber, mostly poplar with a few spruce, the rest is water and clearings.

My question is, does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? What is it worth to me? He seemed non committal, which raised me eyebrows some. I currently use it for hunting elk, moose, deer, and bear, and rent it out to cow guys. Sounds like clearcut, so goodbye hunting. If it was enough cash, I may be interested I suppose. Also, if all the surrounding is cut, but mine left, the block of habitat is gone and why leave mine if there is no more game, you know? Do they leave stumps all over? I supposed a guy could run more cows, or try to farm it, but it is poor soil etc... I would think the assessment would sky rocket if that means anything, other than higher taxes on land I can not even get meat off of anymore. I did wonder about using proceeds to bison fence it or something.

Main question is what would the trees be worth? I can't imagine popla has much value? He is supposed to get back to me today with a figure, but in this day and age of shady characters, I need back up.

Thanks.

Sheesh, I go on hiatus and am back with a vengeance, huh?

Sorry freewheat. If I had to heat the house with the trees on our farm I'd freeze to death the first winter. Lol.

Comment

Well said Sask exactly my sentiments. They are all good at collecting premiums but paying losses is another story.

Comment

So the 600 acres I lost I received 17 an acre for my loss! Wow what a program!

Comment

I like the bison idea, although i have been interested in Bison for 15 years and never take the plunge!

Comment

Depends how he leaves the stumps. I wouldn't want a bunch of cut down trees unless; the money is great and the area cleared. He wouldn't leave a mess, would he?

Comment

Need Brinks to tale you to the bank?

Comment

Too wet to seed acres not flooded acres. I guess you're lucky you didn't seed those acres as they would of flooded out anyways. You got 10k instead of losing 120k on those acres.

Comment

And I don't quite understand your math. 5% of 600 acres is 450 acres? Can't quite figure it out

Comment

5% of 9000 is 450 they deduct!
                    Errol those aces were their last fall and this spring before the spring slushy snow and would have been seeded if monsoon didn't come so yea I'm a lucky guy! FMJ!

Comment

Not in crop insurance. Just needed done clarification.

Comment

Just curious. Have you or will you withdraw any Agri Invest funds?

Comment

Poplar and spruce here is worth more left standing, no market. I'd think it would be worth less there.

Comment

Yes looks like we will have to will decide after harvest.

Comment

Good thing it's there for everyone affected.

Re crop insurance and deductibles, etc. while levels of coverage and deductibles don't match up with farmer expectations, usually the specifics of these programs are dictated by trade constraints as much as available financing by Treasury.

We all feel for the affected area. It's so large. Hopefully everyone will have enough Agri Invest saved or left to help until some (diminished) Ag Stabilty advance arrives.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...