• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report!

Well the heat is welcomed but the drying winds could have stayed away. We have very shallow roots and plants living in mud (Canola Peas) have a hard time with heat and water and stress.
    But funny when the tap is turned off its turned off. Last real rain was the hail storm of July 5th.
    HRS is doing actually great. Spikelet's are averaging 16 and the acepella at flag with the herbicide is keeping them healthy and strong. Our Agrologist actually figures a few of us in the area have wheat figured out. Potential is their for a repeat but were a long way from the bin. Flood damage in wheat is simple where water sat for to long its brown and dead vs Canola where it looks like it actually filled in and is flowered with a sick little plant. Spraying for Midge was done by a few and a few in area sprayed Prosario on their Durum and HRS that missed the initial or just as a precaution. Midge reports are out their but after spending time in the field I noticed very few.
    Oats is coming into its own. Early seeded looks really nice, I mean really nice. Later will do ok but not even close to early seeded. Heading is beginning.
    Barley last seeded and final hit with Fungicide was done on Monday. It is now in the heading process. Thin due to flooding but big heads coming. Flooded area is worse than most cereals and this will effect yield. Some nice barley in area and some really ugly.
    Soy, what can I say, second spray with round up was done and also a fungicide was applied. They have just started to bloom. This is two weeks ahead of last year. Actually their nicer than last years crop for this time of year. One note if they get them down by one more week they will replace peas in our neck of the woods. Peas have failed miserably and I now understand why the Tisdale and Melfort area quit growing peas.
    Flax I cant figure this crop out the flood damaged fields are looking better and flowering is happening. Hail fields just are not coming back. Few have finished flowering. But yes their are some real nice flax crops coming.
    Canola, some are going to be surprised come harvest and its not in a good way, others will be pleasantly surprised. Fields that the flood didn't do damage with better drainage etc. look very nice. Early seeded or at wrong stage during the flood are really sick thin and ugly. Late seeded, if they make it will be awesome. But when your just in Cabbage and starting to bolt not sure on that one. Weed control with all the water is starting to show up as not so good on some fields. Simple rule for canola if we had so many bushels last year we will end up with about half that this year. Just cant make a lemon pie out of cow shit.
    Lentils and peas are real simple total shit on every single field. Peas looked like they were coming back on hailed out drowned out fields to just seem to die this week. Even the Red army who has never had a pea failure is up for one this time round. Lentil fields seen at Indian head by town well just work them down would be easier to look at.
    So the week in a nutshell.
    Dryer hotter and no rain were the weather of the week. Peas are ending their year with a whimper and shutting down. Canola is showing signs of shutting down on early fields and late are in full bloom to just cabbaging. All over the map from wow that came back to WTF.
    HRS could hit last year in this area but F%$k were a long way from the bin. Similar with other Cereals. Flax has some great to not great but potential is their on great.
    Farming in Canada where the only real winner is every one else but the guy doing the work. If this one comes in as a average with todays prices dropping further and what most spent on this crop its not a very black balance sheet, its blood red.
    Why worry have fun and enjoy the last week of July and be safe.

Yea one other comment, I don't want to hear how its seed genetics that are causing the crop to bounce back. AH the Monsoon season ended and its been hot and dry every since. Plants just do what plants do, recover to some extent and produce seed.
    Simple plant growth 1 oh 1.

Comment

Starting to spray down lentils south of regina. Cant believe how bad some of them fields look and that area in general

Comment

Way to much water kills crops. From road fields that looked to recover at flowering stage now are shutting down again you can see how piss poor they are. But at flowering not bad. It will be 2010 all over again. Or like the Aster yellow year.

Comment

Here the crop with the greatest potential seems to be cereals, namely wheats. They are looking good but I should have sprayed fungicide on my durum at flag leaf in addition to the half rate at herbicide time, maybe next year I'll skip the one with herbicide and go in at flag then at heading again like this year. Spring wheat looks healthy. I don't have and I don't see much barley around here.

Canola looks ok but I doubt it's a repeat of last year, doesn't look as thick and lush. Might need a drink yet to meet it's full potential.

Peas, yuck overall. The bad patches, some of which are fairly large, never did improve much and are making a weak attempt to produce some seed. Some patches are completely screwed. Nearly three quarters of my fields are badly affected but one is actually half decent, but there again, lacks the potential of last years pea crop. This pea report would be a common observation in this area.

Flax looks good except for areas around some sloughs where it was a bit yellow and stunted. Authority seems to be doing its job.

Yellow mustard is ok but has the same theme, I don't know it will be as good as last year's crop grown on poorer land.

Everything will have been sprayed with fungicide except the absolute worst pea field. I guess I feel there is still a crop here worth protecting even if it fails to meet last years results.

Stay safe and be careful, your and your families well being isn't worth risking to an uncaring cold hearted Industry. Read between the lines.

Comment

Some peas will be ready north of Maple Creek within 10 days - the Haven Colony South of Leader has some nice crop and looks to be in full harvest mode shortly. Crops are very good in many areas on the way down . The Luseland area storm wiped out a big swath of what looked like good crop
            There is a stretch around Leader I think that looked very heat stressed at some point
            Crops from B'ford to Wilkie are stellar

Comment

ps. No bug spraying here, but I should have probably scouted harder. What I refuse to see can't hurt me, ya right. Wheat is midge resistant and I thought I would do the environmentally responsible thing and not just throw in the bug spray because I actually never saw one midge "the" night I checked.

Comment

ps. No bug spraying here, but I should have probably scouted harder. What I refuse to see can't hurt me, ya right. Wheat is midge resistant and I thought I would do the environmentally responsible thing and not just throw in the bug spray because I actually never saw one midge "the" night I checked.

Comment

Crops looking better here with no rain since the monsoon ended. Basically lost 10-20 percent depending on the field to flooding. I would say we are in for a below average cop here wheat may be average.

Comment

Peas ours and a few guys with them on well drained hills are great. Around home here there's some getting sprayed out with roundup some look like crap guys hope to get seed back. Real late ones look good started flowering.

flax some looks awesome some thin.

Oats very little around... early seeded great late seeded good. Our early not very good as it went on lowest quarter and was standing in water for a good 2 weeks.

Wheat... hard red looks amazing everywhere here. Soft white is good.

Barley west there's some real nice stuff. Around d here lots of smut and lots of fields had tiller die off.

Canola... well its a gong show.

90% is crap.

Very late seeded is the only stuff that may make a crop... but it's soon late starting to flower...

Talked to a neighbour and our agronomist and between us all hoping area averages 15-20.

1 field of lentils... they look like a disaster.

Soybeans are dirty but they are loving the heat.

Comment

Peas wrote off by crap insurance.
                      Flax thin too many drowned out areas
                      Wheat is terrific
                      Barley has a third of the field wiped out the rest is good
                      Canola early fields are better later ones could not take the flood are poor.
                      Way below average except for wheat and the odd canola field.

Comment

Early seeded Canola out of bloom and filling. Some wheat getting reddish tinge on heads. Lots of early peas that never recovered from herbicide app. Will be interesting to see what they yield.

Some good pea crops. CWRS looks awesome and Penhold CPS the same. It is short... 20 inches with very nice heads. Will be a nice fit for Foremost replacement with better milling quality and protein up at least 1 percent by the looks of the stats.

Could be an early fall start by the looks of crops that were seeded early in east central Alberta. A few wht fields that missed showers... have white tinge with hot days.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

What have some of you all been getting for "heat"? We have been having trouble hitting more than 24, which is about normal, and is doing nothing to advance really late crops. Been humid though, the kind where you start sweating at 8AM, and continue to sweat even while sitting still, until the basement beckons in the evening.

SF3, I live for your Friday, ahem, Thursday crop reports!!! lol. You have a way of saying things that makes me smile...

Comment

Back home our wheat starting to fill heads - canola coming out of bloom and peas are either very good or fuked for a number of reasons .
                            There is about 30 % of the crop in our area that is far later than last year

Comment

I drove about 2000 kms around SE Sask early this week. Extremly variable crop when it comes to lentils, and within the affected area of Chamberlain, MJ, Rouleau, Sedley Regina there is crops that are zero and crops that will be 30 . Extremely hard to get a handle on it, but other crops like durum, HRS and canola look to have come thru it much better.

Spent most of yesterday at Indian Head REsearch FArm looking at Canary research. Some really interesting work on fertility will come out of that site this summer. Work is replicated at 5 sites across province.

If SF3 durum/HRS looks anything like Indian Head, youre headed for a nice crop. Showed pea work with athinomyces and it is a terrible disease.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...