• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you "have to grow wheat"?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm done with wheat and what you're saying here confirms its not worth the hassle.

Comment

Sadly I have to grow wheat. Right or wrong we have to be better at finding a home be it storage or basis or whatever. At least we now get clear signals from market so the growers with alternate crop options grow them.
      Last year paid no more than $14/t basis. This year thinking it should fall to $40 from its current $70. Hoping for average crop and that I can hold my breath long enough to move it without getting ****d.

Comment

i grew ac barrie twice in scotland.
        year 1 10 acres 2t/ac
        year 2 100 ac 0.5 t/ac
        year 3zero ac.

Comment

Hedgehog: was there a price advantage for AC Barrie?

Comment

yes it was about £30/t premium i think.
            the crop looked good but only had about 4 grains per head.

Comment

How did it compare to other varisties and types. Barrie was once the most common type here. Now we grow a midge resistant that is similar locally.

Comment

Just googled: acbarrie england, they say £200 - £300/ mt premium.

Comment

they were paying £200 when normal wheat was £170, so £30 premium, not a £200 premium.
                  my yield was low but ok the first year, but a disaster yr 2,at half a ton /acre. although it was organic and made £350/ ton so not all bad.
                  its about 0.75t /acre lower than other spring varieties.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...