• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CanAmera bought by Bunge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well now! I seem to have a real debate on my hands! For the number of you who I guess don't know Ontario, I DON'T LIVE NEAR TORONTO, AND I'M DAMN GLAD I DON'T! I live in NORTHwestern Ontario. Right beside the Manitoba, Ontario, Minnesota Border. Please, for the sake of god, don't associate me with the dumb-assed bastards that live down in the south. We are not Liberal lovers either. The rural population voted all in favour of the Alliance in the last election. It was the damn townies and indians that voted for Bob Nault (that idiot of Indian Affairs)....don't blame the Rainy River District farmers for putting that nutcase in Parliment. We here where I live are all for the Western farmer. We feel more a part of Manitoba than Ontario. We just figure that why don't you guys go to where the rain and sun are in equal balance...like where we live. Rather than crying for aid payments that will never mean anything anyways. Also, why don't some of you guys with the 500 grand dollar machinery start selling it? might get a little money for it. We around here can run 30 year old pieces of junk on 250 acres of hayland, why can't you?

Comment

15444: A farmer is a farmer whether in Alberta, Ontario, or Quebec! We all face the same problems weather, the cost/ price squeeze, other various problems. This year we got hammered with this horrible drought. For most of us this is a confusing time because we've never seen it like this. It is NOT the norm! For example we've never not had a crop. Never been completely hailed out, froze out, or dried out. Barley consistently runs in the 80-100 bu./acre. Thick black loam soil.
      This is only one year...last year was dry but our barley still went 90 bu./acre.
      Now maybe this dry spell is here to stay...we just don't know. Our provincial government is trying to help us but the feds are pretty much a joke. Our provincial government can help us because they have the petro bucks, no other reason! Consider that if we kept our $7 billion in transfer payments at home this year we might just be able to feed our cows cake!
      This is not belittling the response from our farming brothers in Ont. and Quebec! We are truly grateful for your efforts to help. I don't think our alienation from the east ever was directed towards the rural areas.
      The $500,000 machinery is up for sale! Lots of big green combines sitting by the road with "For Sale" signs on them. Don't think there are many buyers though...don't need a combine to harvest the hoppers and thistles!

Comment

Cowman
        The Government had no fast way to do it any other way than a straight acreage payment or worry about the Americans slapping duties and tarriffs on everything (softwood lumber)because you would be targeting a specific commodity. It is by no means perfect but it will get some cash out into the rural areas and maybe keep the Castors, Coronations, Provosts of Alberta from drying up and becoming ghost towns.
        I agree with you that it doesn't make much sense to pay the same for an acre at Hanna as in the Highway 2 corridor or the irrigation districts but that's what they have done.

Comment

The acreage payment could have easily been administered more fairly without a lot of beuracracy. These so called forms being mailed out will nearly all have to be reviewed as acreages and anges as nearly all farms have changes in crops on a year to year basis. In most area's farms constantly plow acres down, seed new acres to grass, rent or give up additional land, so for the program head to claim "it was easiest this way since anyone who has the same acres as last year will simply check a box". The program most certainly should have been a per cow payment on grazing and forage acres and this would have equalled out discrepancies. A simple mode of action should have been use of the tax forms to produce dollar figures for puchased and sold calves which would be reconciled with sales reciepts . The net from sold minus purchased calves would equal home raised thus the number of productive cows and a per cow payment figure. I have past experience with audits on the past Crow Benefit and Tripartite programs and can assure you we did far more indepth audits in little time. Personally I would rather wait for money from an equitable program than get a small amount now because it is quick and convenient. We pay these civil servants to administer these programs and lets put them to the task. As far as us all packing up and moving to Ontario in the face of a 1 in 10 generations drought we will perservere. Thats why we are in Alberta, home of the wealth and strong, because we will survive. All we want is eaual treatment from our gavernment and we will continue to outproduce the rest of this country.

Comment

Perhaps because the Prairies and Ontario are so geographically far apart there is a lack of knowledge and understanding of some people for the problems of others. A neighbor of ours is trying to sell his cattle herd and has advertised in Ontario. One caller asked him how far Alberta was from his home. It unfortunate, but true. Having said this I certainly wish to applaud and thank the many Ontario farmers who came to aid of Western producers with the Hay West campaign. Some people just know what's going on.

Comment

I am a 29 year old farmer that has had a of farm job in the past but on june 17 2002 quit my job because my 48 year old dad died from a heart attack and 14 months earlier my mom died at 46 yers old from brain cancer. I know that if my dad was still alive he would not have been able to survive this year. My dad had over $400,000.00 in life insurance and we will see about 5,000.00 of this. My brother who is getting married in april farms with me. This is a hell of a bad year and to hold on to the cattle we are selling off our 60 farrow to finish hogs just to feed the cattle. This is a tough year but i would not trade what i have here in alberta to live any where else in the world. We just don't know how lucky we have it until we travel to other places in canada. This is a set back that we alll will never forget. We hopefully will never be caught again with our pants down. This means a good carry over of feed and straw.We are not invincable but in good years we can prepare ourselves more.This is a hard lesson for myself in a already hard year. We are now just in survival mode and hopefully will see another year.You must amitt that alberta is one of the best places in the world to live.

Comment

Amen Kenry,

Comment

15444- u said something very interesting right at start about your feeder co-op-and hoew spending 10-15 c
                  ents a pound extra doesn't bother them-
                  is there something we don't know. Out here with borrowed money we tend to watch those things.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...