• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open market timing good

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open market timing good

With the current production issues in the U.S. the timing of an open market for Western Canada couldn't be better. This especially applies to feed grains for which the board was never great at selling. There should be opportunities for both feed wheat and barley for export. It may not be a windfall but should let pricing follow a world market.

Cattle farmers in Eastern Canada will pay market
    value. No more cheap barley from the board.

Comment

Dont they grow their own feed? I thought the feed barley all went to feedlot alley in Alberta. I have never thought once to deliver east! Then again, I never had to think about that now, did I?

Comment

Craig,

I posted this on the "corn" thread...

"It is important that we 'feed' the market on the way up. The self dicipline of growers is much more rational than the CWB thought possible.

One BIG mistake the Old CWB made... was to mistrust growers and call us all fools... telling us only the CWB 'single desk' knew how to sell our grains.

NOW the CWB will pay a huge price for this past foolishness... 'single desk' head in the sand ... annoyance they staked their future on.

WHAT a shame ExChairs Oberg et.el; the seven ostiches... and past CWB managers were soooo arrogant... to mistrust the very people who were their future... and reck a perfectly good marketing opportunity for decades. $Billions were lost and only proved left wing command and control is a VERY inefficient system."

Just as rational logical folks like you suggested.

We have much to be thankful for!

Pinch me... now perhaps our next generation of family will be more interested in our way of life!

Cheers!!!

Comment

Damm why didnt we get rid of the cwb long ago , and I would have had wonderful crops and the us would have been in a drought and the financial crises would have been averted and the prices ect.ect.
          Only history will tell just how wonderful this open market is like mabey whem General Mills or conagra or cargil owens it all like what has been hapening in the rest of the world economy for yrs.
          Hell tes all we need is Walmart Safeway and Exon gee I cant wait.

Comment

Horse
            Much rather have access to markets that are prepared to pay a fair dollar for what I produce than depend on someone who couldn't be bothered to sell the crop for me. Trade is now more of a two way street. As I suggested there will be opportunities this year because of certain circumstance. No one is suggesting this will be nirvana on an on going basis.

Comment

craige: For the past dozen years that is ALL I have ever read from the anti-CWB group on this forum...NIRVANA will be ours once the "Single Desk" is gone. For ever and ever...AMEN.

I guess we'll find out soon enough after three or four years have slipped by.

Comment

And you will still have that one last bin of feed barley from 15 years ago.

Comment

silverback: yep that's a keeper but might sell it to my neighbour for pig feed and the bin as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...