• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the brutality of corn

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the brutality of corn

Skyrocketing corn prices may have
    growers thrilled, but this rally is now
    taking a heavy toll in other sectors of
    the industry.

Apparently, U.S. feedlots are now losing
    more than $230 per head on unhedged
    cattle. In Canada, losses exceeding $250
    are heard.

Ethanol production is falling
    dramatically. In fact, the U.S. may make
    changes to their ethanol mandate. It is
    likely more economical for oil companies
    to pay government fines than produce the
    ethanol.

Japan (the largest corm importer) has
    indicated they will slash corn imports
    dramatically. More wheat will be fed.

IMO $8/bu corn may be a breaking point
    in this market. Economics are now
    failing.

Errol

whats the difference if japan feeds wheat instead? its even dearer.

Comment

Cornpocalpyse and Beanggedon

80 billion buys the us corn crop

8 billion dollars a day is spent on oil

Comment

Erorrl ( spelling is wrong on purpose)

Is your glass ever half full?

Comment

All This Hot Air coming from Error, Keep er' Spewin, Blow These Markets even Higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you Errol for trying to inject some caution into chronically bullish farmers.

Comment

Inject caution is that what it is?
              We all know the general economy is sluggish, we know the issues in China,
              the one thing we still don't really get is this drought in the US is according to some numbers I've seen the worse since 1934 otherwise MY father was 1 year old the last time it was this bad. NO ONE knows what these prices will do yes there will be demand destruction yes there will be sales lost but there is inelastic demand and we are not yet even at prices for some of these grains that we saw as recently as last crop year so all this doom and gloom is just like Mike Campbell on any given Saturday morning. pick a position and stick with it eventually he'll be ight and then He'll say I told you so. IN the meantime he's been wrong for months now lets hear him say that for a change, cause he is looking at macro's but I really don't think he understand's the scope of what is happening, simply put this weather event will trump all macros because it is that overwhelming.
              Can we make money at these levels?, yes. should we make some sales?,Maybe Should we price everything before it gets harvested? Not on your bloody life. Should you be buying out of the money puts? maybe, thats up too you.
              And maybe I am curently bullish where I was actually bearish in the spring due to all the MAcro factors and the potential for the US to have a big crop but game changer going on down there.
              And besides if you're are in Primary Ag and your not an optomistic and eternally bullish why are you farming? Really?.
              So why that I'll go back to hauling the canola I sold last week and feel really really bad about it,
              Maybe I should donate it?

Heres a thought what if SA now has a wreck?

Comment

Well you may be right, but take a pill anyway.

Comment

Well lets hear your perception of the situation Blackpowder or are you just good at sniping from behind cover?

Comment

of course all the bulls on here knew there would be a drought the likes of which hasn't been seen for the last seventy years. beware the short crop with the long tail.

Comment

What if the world is has many short crops?

Comment

if the 1973 scenario is replayed, when the russians covered up their crop failure, as some agencies seem to be copying re the usa drought, prices could triple to new levels unseen before.
                        in 1973 wheat went from £30 to £100 in 3 months so i am told.
                        repeat that today and wheat will be $20/bu

Comment

Maybe Harper, Obama, and Cameron should cap the price.....for the "public good" of course?

Comment

What was a dollar worth 70 years ago..mmm..and
                            wasn't it made of silver..convertible to gold at 20-no
                            wait 35 to 1 and corn was how much a bushel..and
                            todays value...let me check my numbers...no wait i
                            must have..screwed a decimal place or 2...

Comment

Grain prices will go to levels to where they go to.
                              Wouldn't it e just too bad if farmers actually made some real profits in this price spike event. Just remember that someone will; and I'm pulling for some relatively huge farmers profits for those who happen to have the ohysical product. Do't sell yourself short; just because industry spokespersons are trying to talk things down.

Remember the bumper corn crop that North America was to produce (last spring) and now the same BS about a South American crop that probably hasn't quite been sown yet.

Inject some farmer's instincts in your marketing decisions too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...