• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any one got experince with pt swather?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any one got experince with pt swather?

With the cwb finally being voluntary we decided to treat ourselves to a substantial increase in wheat acres this spring.I was thinking what we'll do is swath about a 1/4 or maybe a 1/3 of this acres. I'm thinking with a grain cart why not swath this with a pull type swather? I notice most pt swather's are not a true center delivery, ie the hole is not in the middle. By having a lot more grain or swath on one side of the swath does this effect combine preformance? I see most used pt swathers for sale are case/ih is there a reason for this? And what else am i missing. thanks

Tipsy,

The vast majority of combine harvesters are rotary... and even conventionals don't cause a problem if the swath is centered in the feederhouse. The material coming out of the swather hole is relatively even across the machine opening... the true centre of the swath is closer to one side.

We had a 24 foot push header offset with a bydirectional Vers for decades... and a 8820... 9600... Conv. and the overloading of one side was not a problem. If you go round and round... the distance is also the same between swaths.

A pickup reel is always a great help in down grain.... especially if you go round and round.

Hope you have fun this harvest!

Comment

Deere 590 and Case were Mac Don pt swathers. 30' very common.
      Quick transport, simple, laid perfect swaths. Reel drive was weak.
      Should be cheap unless worn out.

Comment

Have always cut with a 25' swather (PT), and a MF 860
        combine behind it.

You run it so that the LH of the swath is getting
        "pushed" into the center, and the RH half of the swath
        is in the middle-ish to just right of center of the
        feederhouse.... works perfect, no troubles at all.

Comment

Fjlip, you are correct. The caseih and John Deere
          swathers we're built by same company. I have a
          caseih 725, brother inlaw had the John Deere
          equivalent. I loved the pull type swather. Made an
          excellent swath, drove around and around all day
          with a low powered tractor, easy on fuel. I
          changed to more straight cut harvesting and Have
          not used my 725 for about 4 years but I keep it
          around because it works well.

Comment

Your correct the Deere and case were the same
            Ccil was different.
            We had three 30 s then went to two 36 plus a
            pusher. Now have pushers and strait cut. Did a
            excellent job, real was poor belt turner. Weak
            point under side of hitch, check for cracks. Easy
            transport, chep power to run.

Comment

SF3, are you pushing your canola with a
              yield shield and straight cutting it?
              Contemplating buying one and trying it.

Comment

Sorry gregpet pusher ment 36 ft swathes. For just
                canola, all durum, hrs, peas oats, and barley
                sometime. Canola strait seen to many losses in
                our area, pod seal cost one guy a lot of money,
                light hail storm, we were 15 percent on swath,
                neighbor 95hailed out got nothing.

Comment

<a href="http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/wittman37/?action=view&current=IMG_0266.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

This swather is for sale. Cheap

Comment

Oops forgot to mention, it is a JD 590, 30 foot. It wasn't initially put away in this position, Mother Nature didn't like where I put it, so she decided to move it.

Comment

<a href="http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/wittman37/?action=view&current=IMG_0285.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

Comment

<a href="http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/wittman37/?action=view&current=IMG_0285.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

Comment

9 years ago only Macdon and Hesston made them. Now no one. Bought a Macdon 1920 25'. Excellent adjustability. With a roto-shear on right side cuts 60 bushel canola very well. p/u reel.
                          Try to find a low acre machine. Parts availability excellent.
                          Cereal swaths are even. Be careful regarding CCIL, older yet and check parts.
                          If cereal only likely not need roto-shear. Also, if you have severe hills ask neighbour if will work as they could draft. I know in mud the right wheel can't hold the machine straight.
                          Remember, if you can't open field with sp then you are driving in crop with tractor on backswath. Not as bad as you think. Going other way you get all but the stuff right on ground.
                          I found the self- adjusting canvas tighteners fussy for tracking after worn. Cheap surge capacity compared to well worn used sp. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for all the great information guy's. I think if mother nature will give us a 7-10 window of no rain I think we'll try a couple of 300 acre fields. Combine going round n round always working, should be able to cover some good acres. Thanks again!

Comment

I forgot about first turn backwards, but it's no big
                              loss, looks worse than it really is.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...