• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Update from Ukraine

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop Update from Ukraine

There is lots of people here in Ukraine which is smaller than Saskatchewan.

The population of Ukraine is 45,888,000 people with a Area of 603.628 km2
    The population of Saskatchewan is 1,033,381 people with a Area of 651,900 km2

We traveled by bus from Chervonohrad to Ternopil Ukraine then we traveled by car from Ternopil to Zarvanitsya this past weekend.

We seen quite a bit of farmland on our trip. There is some wheat and canola that was swathed and some combining had been done. From what we saw on this trip it looks like there was mostly wheat crops approx 50% then about 15% buck wheat and about 15% canola and about 10% corn and then some smaller amounts of Sunflowers, oats, sugar beats.

It has been raining pretty steady the last few days and there was no action in the fields.

Most of the wheat crops looks like nothing was done for weed control and I would guess they would be a 25-30 bu/acre crop. There was the odd field that was sprayed and clean and I would say that they looked like a 40-50 bu/ acre crop. There was way more poor wheat crop than good crop from what i saw. We stopped by the side of the road and thrashed some wheat out by hand and looked like poor quality but that was the only sample I seen.

The canola crops looked pretty good out the window as we drove by.The buck wheat and corn looked pretty good as well. All the corn was on dry land and I do not no much about corn but it looked pretty good to me.

There is lots of small fields 10-20 acres and there are many large fields that are 640 plus acres in size.

On the bus it was hard to see sometimes as there is seats for about 20 people and most of the time there is 20-30 people standing where ever there is room. Your packed like sardines in the bus there is no air conditioning and the windows are all closed. People walking down the road flag the bus down and it will stop and pick them up. Most of the people ride the bus until the next town and get off. One lady got on the bus and she had 2 boxes of baby chicks with her.
    The one bus we were on had to let the air pressure build up a few minutes after every stop before it had enough air pressure to move again. Most of the highways here are in worse condition than highway #32 was before they rebuilt it.

Farm web site below from the Ternopil Oblast of Ukraine.

http://grainlandukraine.com/

a lot of farmers over there cant get credit for sprays or fert, hence the poor crops.

Comment

What was your blog site again jag was interested
      in your adoption story being adopted myself

Comment

Malleefarmer

Here is the link
        http://blog.travelpod.com/members/gizenadoption

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...