• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COMBINING

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COMBINING

Isnt the combines rolling in texas and on north and what is the yield?
    You would think there would be some word or is it being kept a secret?

Combines have been rolling in winter wheat in
    southern MB. What yields have you been hearing?
    Heard from 50 -75. To early to tell what the average
    is. Yet some are indicating yields are not as good as
    the wheat looked or anticipated. Heat may have taken
    more then expected. The canola pods are also
    showing signs of heat stress in our area.

Comment

I volunteered at the Calgary Stampede a few days at
      2 different grain related Ag venues. One of the real
      perks is you meet farmers from all over the world.
      And that included an elderly couple from Northern
      Texas. If you know Texans at all and I do know a
      few then you'll know they never give a direct answer
      to a question. But, their winter wheat came off late
      May, better yields (high 40's) and quality than
      expected. They always sell and deliver off of the
      combine and were pretty happy with what they got,
      but I couldn't dig numbers out of them. Just that it
      was enough to get them to Calgary (big grin). They
      are more concerned about their second crop (they
      get 2 a year) which is milo and something called
      'griskie' (phonetic spelling). They just laughed when
      I asked what the hell griskie is? So I asked how big
      their farm is? Answer in typical Texan fashion -
      "enough to keep four custom cutters goin 24 hrs a
      day for 6 days". There you go...
      Met many more from all over but a lot of different
      stories. A couple from England wondered if they
      would ever get a crop from all of the rain. ianben
      could elaborate.
      Also farmers from China, India and North and
      Central Europe looking to relocate here.

Comment

And buy Saskfarmer3's neighbours land and
        raise the price.

Comment

Do not sound like any sorta short crop,
          butt framers and fishermen have a lot in
          common, fibbin is a waya life in
          Angribusiness and framing ain't it?

Comment

Not quite accurate Burbert. Farmers from Illinois, Iowa,
            Indiana, etc. pretty well indicated in unison the corn
            crop was toast. Also a couple of cattle guys who had to
            sell off their herds and were looking for land up here.
            Like they say - location, location, location.

Comment

70 Bushell per acre wheat is not going to cut it. Lots of guys presold some, and all in cost on my farm are probably north of $400.00 per acre. Sold lost for $5.50. That is why I am going to go to cash only marketing. Sold zero beans, oats, and canola. I just don't seem to get the wheat market. It should be just the same as the other commodities, but I have had no damn luck with wheat. Covered half my wheat with corn and beans, so will do better than 5.50, but man, growing winter wheat is incredibly expensive. I honestly think I am looking at 90 bushells.

Comment

rockpile, i went to the stampede in 98, it was great despite the sea of mud.
                i remember the interesting grain growing/elevator display.
                couldnt persuade the missus to stay though.

Comment

Horse,

There is a great Wheat site at:
                  http://www.uswheat.org/uswPublic2009.nsf/index?OpenPage

Harvest Report - July 13, 2012
                  Hard Red Winter
                  The HRW harvest in South Dakota and Wyoming are now almost two-thirds complete, with rain halting the cutting in Wyoming until two days ago. Yields are still highly variable (20-70 bushels per acre) in South Dakota while Wyoming yield reports are ranging from between 20 and 30 bushel per acre. Wyoming test weights are averaging above 60 pounds per bushel. There have been no protein reports out of Wyoming. The 2012 HRW wheat harvest is now complete in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, and very close to complete (99%) in Colorado and Nebraska.

Montana is projected to begin the HRW harvest in the next 10 to 14 days. Hot temperatures and drought stress have already affected the crop, but over 40 bushel yields with high protein are still being projected.

Four hundred samples have now been collected, 353 of which have been tested for kernel characteristics (grade and non-grade) with simple average results shown below. As expected, the average protein dropped while test weight and thousand kernel weights increased. Moisture decreased slightly this week as did overall dockage. With the exception of test weight, other grading factors did not change this week.

SRW harvest sampling is in the final stages, and increased cooperation from the local elevators has helped to expand the total sample population. USDA information indicates that at least 85% of the crop has now been harvested, still well ahead of a normal pace. The addition of 61 samples analyzed this past week has not significantly altered the overall averages of the crop, with only a very slight decrease in protein, dockage and total defects for the composites graded.

Compared to the final 2011 data, this crop is trending higher for test weight (60.1 lb/bu compared to 58.9 last year) and thousand kernel weight (34.6 grams compared to 32.2 last year). Protein and falling number value are unchanged compared to the final 2011 data, and this year’s overall grade of US No. 1, to date, is improved over last year’s No. 2. Dockage is slightly above last year’s final average of 0.7%.

Laboratory milling of composite wheat from northeast North Carolina had an increased flour yield compared to last year, but farinograph absorption is slightly lower. In western Missouri, the milling yield has increased 3% from last year’s result, and the farinograph absorption is 3% higher this year. Bake data from North Carolina is similar to last year, but the bake volume and cookie spread ratio from the western Missouri samples is poorer than last year.

Hard Red, Soft White, and Durum wheat have no results yet.

All the best!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...