• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price check

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price check

So how do open market wheat prices up here in the Dominion compare to those just across the line from us in the States? Lets have a lookie look.

The exchange rate today is .979

In Bottineau North Dakota that puts

14% spring wheat at $8.80 CAD

12% winter wheat at $7.27 CAD

In Berthold ND

14% spring wheats at $8.90 CAD

Winter wheats at $ 7.07

Fortuna

14% spring wheat is $ 8.63 CAD

12% winter wheat is $ 7.05 CAD

At my local Cargill today...

#2 13% spring wheat is $8.60

#2 11% winter wheat is $7.10

-All of these prices are for off the combine delivery.

But wait a minute there, I'm comparing #2 grade wheat up here with #1 grade wheat in the states. Well as of today you can tack another 20 cents onto those #2 prices to get the apples to apples comparison.

Conclusion: For the first time in my farming career we are getting at least as good a price for our wheat as the Americans and maybe even just a little bit better. No need to ship it too the states. The price, as predicted, has come to us. And... did I mention this is for off the combine? An option we never had before under the old monopoly system.

Better prices and better delivery options under the open market vs the old monopoly system. Who would have guessed that one? LOL

Comment

And what prices will you get if and when you do combine when IT IS TIME TO COMBINE?

This is still July.

Counting zee cheekins before dey hatch aren't we?

Comment

Oh my.... How could we have been price oppressed for so long, and our masters so sure that the CWB was our salvation and that Western Canadian farmers were well served by CWB price premiums.

Just like I had said; there were some relatively small groups who received special CWB entitlements (and they were vocal supporters); then there were the CWB management teams and their special friendly farmer supporters; and the rest was done on the backs of western Canadian farmers.

Comment

Really Wilagro?

The BOD of the CWB isn't around to spread
          fear in the hearts of us dumb scared
          wittle fahmers with no one to protect us
          from the big bad corporations, so you've
          taken up the cause?

Comment

What kind of price will I get when all is said and done?

I'll type this slowly so that maybe you'll understand this one.

A <b>COMPETITVE</b> one!

Comment

So for those of us that have a significant amount
              of inventory at all times, just where is this risk
              willie? For the first time in my and my fathers
              career we can cashflow next years operating with
              stored wheat/durum at harvest paid in full. No
              need to worry about growing this crop willie. No
              pressure to sell anything. I know i know the tax
              man cometh. :-)

Comment

JDGreen, unless you incorporate carefully.

Comment

Fransisco,

And we have competitive prices with Ontario wheat growers as well...

How could this happen?

All when world wheat prices were supposed to colapse... because the CWB 'single desk' isn't here to hold the world wheat market to account!

How could this happen?

Why isn't all wheat at $4/bu... and Canola/Peas/Barley all collapsed because the CWB isn't here to hold these prices up? We have a good crop here in western Canada I am told... the big grain companies must be in a scheme to pay us too much... so they can boast to shareholders how much money they just lost... and GAVE to 'designated area' grain growers needlessly! How many grain co CEO's will lose there jobs... for paying us too much Wilagro???

Comment

TOM4CWB: You guys read too much into what I said. All I was pointing out was that the prices quoted are a bit premature as our harvest hasn't started yet and we have a ways to go.

Geez, the old initial CWB prices were only a portion (I believe about 65% of potential final price with on-going periodic adjustments) YET comparisons were made with American cash prices which never did make sense.

At least today's price comparisons between the two markets make more sense. On adjusted basis the two markets should be fairly close...time will tell although some of the regulars on here will blame the CWB for every discrepancy (plus OR minus) no matter what.

Comment

Wil you know that I have done many price comparisons through the years. They are not that hard to look up in the Agriville archive. I never took a wheat board initial pool price and compared it to a US cash price. Never.

CWB fixed price contracts to US cash prices, yes. Final pool payments to the average cash price for the same time frame and grade, yes. They were apples to apples comparisons and the old monopoly came up short time and time again.

Comment

As to the prices being "premature". You can lock these prices in TODAY. You don't have to wait for harvest if you think these are good prices.

But that's besides the point. The point that you are evading is that we are finally getting the same price on both sides of the border. We are not getting a heavily discounted price like we did under the monopoly.

Comment

You guys just didn't believe when I said changing
                          marketing arrangements in canada won be that
                          bad you bunch of henny penneys **
                          ** denotes sarcasm **

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...