• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barley Health Claims

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barley Health Claims

There will be an official announcement On Thursday July 12 at the Co-op kitchen in the BMO centre at the Stampede Grounds. The announcement will be at 12:30. This has been a long time coming and much work done through Health Canada. If you are around on Thursday I hope to see you there and meet some of you. I will be there being a producer and a processor.

Whoa, an announcement like this will be
    huge, just like the red wine, oat,
    ostrich, bison meet claims. Wes gonna
    live ferever from now on, ifn we chews on
    barley beards!

Comment

Burbert you truly are a useless individual, I usually dont post and generally skip your responses, but if you cant see and understand the buying power of the consumer you ultimatly sell to you truly are a lost cause. I apologise to regular readers here for answering but some individuals just irritate a person

Comment

Excellent..More use of BLY will be awesome for us who like to grow it...

Comment

That is excellent news. I am excited. Milling oats
          are profitable for my farm, canola is showing black
          ink, wheat price is climbing, and now barley will
          have healthy news. Wow, this may be a first time
          in my life that all the crops I plant in one year are
          respectably profitable. That is terrific news, thank
          you, you made my day!

Comment

Oh, yeah, the bison meat industry is doing well
            after learning it's way to the consumer.

Comment

Barley fibre helps lower cholesterol and risk of heart disease.

Health Canada approves claim for food products containing barley fibre.

(Calgary, AB) July 12, 2012 — Barley is finally getting the recognition it deserves. Years of research and documentation paid off this week when Health Canada approved a health claim linking the consumption of barley beta-glucan, a type of soluble fibre, to reduced blood cholesterol.

“This is a success story for barley,” said Alberta Barley Commission Chairman Matt Sawyer, a farmer near Acme, AB. “This health claim has the potential to increase consumer demand for barley food products and, in turn, help grow our industry.”
              The health claim—which is the result of years of work by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) scientist Dr. Nancy Ames’ team in Winnipeg, MB—will apply to suitable foods that contain at least one gram of beta-glucan from barley grain products per serving. One gram equals 35 per cent of the recommended daily intake.

The claim is based on evidence that shows consumption of at least three grams of beta-glucan per day helps reduce cholesterol, which is a risk factor for heart disease.
              “It’s official,” said Dr. Ames. “Health Canada’s announcement means that we can communicate specific health benefits of eating foods that contain barley beta-glucan. It gives credibility to barley as a health food and also provides the necessary information in a regulated way that Canadians can have confidence in.”
              The health claim includes dehulled or hulless barley, pearl barley, barley flakes, grits, meal, flour and bran, as well as beta-glucan enriched milling fractions. Extracted barley beta-glucan is excluded from the claim.

“I’m excited about the potential for growth in the food barley industry,” said Jim Hugo, a barley farmer near Three Hills, AB and owner of JRK Farms—a producer of barley flour and other barley mixes. “We’ve known for a long time that barley is a healthy option and it’s great that we now have a health claim that proves it.”

To learn more, visit Health Canada’s website at www.hc-sc.gc.ca or contact Lynne Underhill at Health Canada at (613) 954-4468.

Canada’s only barley commission, the Alberta Barley Commission is a not-for-profit organization directed, funded and controlled by the province’s 17,000 barley farmers. The Commission co-ordinates and sponsors research, market development, technology transfer and policy development on behalf of its producers.

Comment

Yeah an I betcha the price a barely will
                go throu da rouf now! Just like the
                racehorse oats raised by Comedian framers
                did a few years agao. Yeah nose ifn ya
                really wants somethin healthy ya should
                eat noting but wild oats and quack grass
                fer the fiber and theys truly orgasmic!!

Comment

And my wife doesn't believe me when I tell her the more beer I drink in one night the better I feel! Sheesh

Comment

"The health claim—which is the result of years of work by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) scientist Dr. Nancy Ames’ team in Winnipeg, MB—will apply to suitable foods that contain at least one gram of beta-glucan from barley grain products per serving. One gram equals 35 per cent of the recommended daily intake."

So...if one ingests about three (3) grams of beta-glucan from barley grain products daily we'll all be healthier?

Three grams per adult person in Canada per day for a year...how much is that?
                    How many bushels of barley would that take? I'm sure that some health-food company will make a fortune from this new endorsement from Health Canada...whether farmers will see any of that money is a moot point.

Comment

Guess we'll start havin ta calculate how
                      many grams not tonnes, that a B train kin
                      haul, then run ta the bank with the
                      bundles eh!

Comment

Burbert: You nailed it. The quantities required now that "barley is good for us" will be stupendous. I'm gonna need more locks on my bins.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...