• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game Changer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Changer

Short term or sustained rally for a few
    months and opportunities for new crop
    2013?

The stuff I read says corn and soybeans will be the driver of world grain prices. Oilseeds have been beat to
    death but corn remains interesting. Here is an article for Agweb that provides some scenarios as to potential
    outcomes. Guess weather and you can forecast prices.

[URL="http://www.agweb.com/article/as_temperatures_heat_up_will_the_corn_crop_shrivel/"]agweb[/URL]

I think there is a expression about living in interesting times.

Comment

The factors that give me angst and suggest the bull
      run may not last forever is the tie between
      economic/financial problems around the world and
      demand for agricultural commodities. I note how
      negative everyone is on this forum about the world
      financial situation and yet the belief that agriculture is
      entering the golden years. May be right long term
      but my expenience in life is you have to survive the
      short term to make it to the long term. Volatility will
      be the new world.

Comment

Here's a thought to ponder

In a general discussion with a broker from a promiminant agricultural Western Canadian firm; it was candidantly admitted that a certain competitor was seen by the industry as being on the "side of the farmer"; in that he tended to try to drive prices up.

Apparently that runs somewhat counter to the wishes of the "bigger" half of the buyer/seller equation.

On behalf of myself I wish to thank that grain broker for his efforts to slightly even the playing field.

Apparently its quite a rare position to take.

Comment

I've heard "interesting times" is actually a very old
          chinese curse,lol.

A 20% move in a month is indeed interesting and a
          game changer.

Comment

oneoff

Very few here sell directly to final customers so dealing with the supply chain is a necessary evil. All western Canadian prices are based off international values - varies with crop but 50 to 80 % of production is exported. Prices are driven by what happens in world markets. Yes there is the price relationships between Canadian prices and world values (basis if you like) that is impacted by competitition within but there is less variability than with moves in the overall pricing complex.

Developing partnerships with other members of the supply chain you can trust will be critical in the new world as all members deal with price volatility. Picking on wheat, that is all members from farmers to grain handlers to flour mills to bakeries.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...