• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is typical for soft wheat Andrew purity?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is typical for soft wheat Andrew purity?

Been growing this stuff for years. Just had extra seed cleaned so is typical that had some for sale. Guy from a small distance away about an hours drive found out I had extra seed for sale. He never grew it before had an inexperienced hired man pick it up out of my bin that I was using for my own planting seed. Just 400 bushels. When time to plant he took one look at the seed and thought there was like 30 percent hard red, its just the way the seed looks. So he did not plant it. And was done planting on Friday. He finally got ahold of me on my cell monday complaining of the seed, so CGC in Saskatoon did a visual and found 6 percent hard red. Now sample is at Discovery for another visual. I intend to do the DNA for a 170 dollar fee, as I think a visual test of this stuff is useless. What are others experience with this wheat? I am just wondering about purity. I am just wondering what percent I should let this guy get away with making me take my seed back. I offered to pick it up cause I want to make sure it has never been off his truck as he states. Discovery still has my germ disease sample so I intend to use it for the DNA test.

I done purity before on this stuff couple years back and also when I first planted it cause it looks like a mixture of hard red. It came back 98 and 97 percent pure soft. Talking to a lot of other growers in the area and theirs were at 6 percent other. Taking this wheat back is going to cut into my fishing time.

Comment

anything you bought as certified needs to be 99% . Google certified seed purity and hit the Sask gov link. The seed you originally bought should have met this

Comment

OK another question, was AC Andrew ever a certified seed in Canada?

Comment

Google ac andrew certified seed and it seems the answer is yes

Comment

Anyone got any facts? You can say certified was supposed to be 99 percent, how often does that happen? I want to know what is out there.

Comment

My seed was common. What is the spec on that?

Comment

I dont think common seed is regulated for spec. Buyer beware which it appears your buyer is exercising

Comment

I suppose he got me by the balls cause I don't have payment. If this stuff comes back 3 percent which I believe is well under industry standard he will get a piece of me.

Comment

By industry standard I am referring to what is out there. There was no purity spec on the purchase agreement.

Comment

My selling history is basically to ethanol plants, 2 years to Cargill for malt when it was worth it, local feed mill takes it no discount, they love it actually. The more I think about it the guy should not reject this seed.

Comment

problem with contamination is the multiplication factor every year. contrasting class in durum on buying spec is 2% in #1, 3% in #2, 4.3% in 3, 10% in #4 and 49% in #5. Most other milling wheats are based on cwrs tolerances which are much tighter. 0.6% in #1, 1.2% in #2, and I cant remember #3 or lower tolerance. check cgc website. I have level 3 govt grain grading but its been some years since my last upgrade and my book isnt handy, my Kokanee is, sorry

Comment

Well thanks buddy. The DNA to visual will be interesting I think. I am sure I will still find time to go fishing.

Comment

Life is too short to fight over it. Did you tack a
                            huge seed premium on? If you dont want to
                            waste your life fighting, just discount the price to
                            commercial grain and next time test it before you
                            sell it. Put yourself in his shoes. He paid a
                            premium for something he thought was Andrew,
                            couldnt use it. Wasted a lot of time and probably
                            money. Take the high road.

Comment

If you called it Andrew, it has to be registered or
                              certified, right?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...