• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCWGA on Viterra sale

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WCWGA on Viterra sale

Media Release
    March 21, 2012

Wheat Growers comment on Viterra sale

The Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association sees the Glencore acquisition of Viterra and Richardson’s expanded presence to be a generally positive development for prairie grain farmers, so long as competition concerns in the farm input sector are adequately addressed.

“While we welcome Glencore as a new player to the Canadian grain industry, we do have some concerns about how this deal might affect competition in the farm input sector,” says Kevin Bender, President of the Wheat Growers.

As currently structured, the deal would see Glencore and Richardson each hold about a 34% market share in Canada’s grain handling capacity. Viterra currently has a 45% share and Richardson has 25%. The deal would also see Richardson increase its port terminal capacity and take over four oat processing plants and a U.S. wheat mill now operated by Viterra.

“We see this rebalancing as a positive move in promoting greater competition and greater market reach for our grain,” says Bender. “Glencore’s global grain connections should improve our access to markets around the world. Richardson too has a solid reputation of providing good value to prairie farmers, and so we welcome their increased commitment to western agriculture.”

The deal contemplates the transfer of Viterra’s equity interest in Canadian Fertilizer Limited and the sale of 90% of Viterra’s farm input retail network to Agrium This aspect of the deal raises some competition concerns for the Wheat Growers.

“The sale of farm retail outlets to Agrium could result in too few competitive options for some farmers in the purchase of their fertilizer and other farm inputs,” says Bender. “We will be asking the Competition Bureau to ensure good competition remains in all areas of the prairies.”

The Wheat Growers are pleased to note that Glencore intends to base its North American agricultural operations in Regina and increase funding to research and educational institutions in Western Canada.

“Overall we see this deal as being positive for prairie farmers,” says Bender, “as long as it results in increased competition and greater market opportunities.”

For further comment, please contact:

Kevin Bender
    President

Wowsers, is these boys/girls ever slow
    outta the startin blocks! I asked the
    same question a coupla daze ago,
    relative to the Comedian Competing
    Bureau, butt and its a big BUTT, hardly
    anyone paid an attention. HOWEVER the
    one response, indicated that the FIX
    was in, which is probably accurate,
    since all our local gas stations always
    sell gas at exactly the same price all
    the time and on long weekends according
    to the Comedian Bureau, gas price only
    seem to rise!!!!!! What a stupid
    nuttless/gutless Comedian agency....

Comment

burbert

The competetion bureau will gladly look at your concerns. I called them on tuesday for the correct method to make the complaint. No sense preaching to the choir, I think you should take the time to express your concerns, here and to the competition bureau. I do support what you are saying on this.

Comment

The province of Saskabush is also goin
        ta flesh out the deal, ta see if the FIX
        is in and how many crooks and what sort
        of crookidness was involved in Mays big
        pay day. BUTT me thinks Comedian
        farmers are all behind this sort of
        stuff and love gettin stuffed by the big
        boys/girls. Consolidation has been a
        good thing for the Comedian framing
        community ta date, no more friendly
        neighbours ta come callin, higher land
        prices, more and more rights given up er
        taken away. Lots and lotsa positives
        for the angribusiness world!!!!

Comment

Of a bigger concern is the fact that Mayo lied to investors about a takeover. Had it started a day or two before the BNN interview I could accept it but he stated in the conference call with glencore that they had been in discussions for months?

That is more of a concern that the securities commission should be looking into the insider trades in that time period.

I am in agreement with you on this one burbert. Rare I know, but something doesn't pass the smell test on this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...