• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting read

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting read

In the news today.

REGINA - Regardless of the outcome of any potential takeover battle for Viterra Inc., chief executive Mayo Schmidt will be well looked after.

Schmidt, who made $5.1 million in salary and bonuses last year, will be paid $13.1 million in ``cash severance,'' if he is terminated without cause within 12 months of any takeover, according to the company's management information circular.

Known as ``change in control (CIC)'' provisions. Schmidt's compensation package provides for separation payments of base salary, plus performance bonuses, stock options and other benefits in the event of the takeover of the company.

The information circular, which was issued to shareholders at the company's annual meeting in Calgary last week, outlines the payments Schmidt is entitled to under the CIC provisions: $3.4 million in base salary, $3.66 million in short-term incentives, and $6 million in share units, for a total of $13.1 million.

That doesn't include $545,000 in stock options and $50,000 for ``outplacement and relocation'' costs.

Under Schmidt's guidance, ``Viterra has transitioned from a company that was once largely a handler and marketer of western Canadian grain to a global agri-business,'' the circular said.

As chief executive of Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, Schmidt headed the company's acquisition of Agricore United for $1.8 billion in 2007 and led the acquisition of Australia's ABB Grain Ltd. for $1.4 billion in 2009.

``Under Mr. Schmidt's leadership, Viterra has been recognized by Canadian Business Magazine as one of the 50 most important companies in Canada's history. The magazine also honoured Mr. Schmidt as the Chief Executive of the Year in 2009.''

Schmidt is one of five senior Viterra executives entitled to C.I.C. payments, including Fran Malecha, chief operating officer ($4.5 million); Rex McLennan, chief financial officer ($3.5 million); Don Chapman, senior vice-president, international grain ($2.5 million); and Robert Gordon, president, South East Asia ($2.1 million).

Regina Leader-Post

So if Mayo loses his job because he is trying to sell the company, he is paid a bonus. Nice clause. He is putting himself out of a job. I would say that is cause enough to not pay him a bonus. So if I sell the farm, I can ask for an outrageous bonus if the new owners don't keep me around. Sheesh.

Also quotes Canadian Business Magazine as viterra as "the 50 most important companies in Canada's history" and yet Wall says there is no case for keeping it Canadian.

Personally I don't care what happens to the upper management of Viterra because there is already cause for concern on their competency but I am getting tired of Canadian companies selling out.

Comment

Mayo made more than all the shareholders
      have the last five years combined.
      Something wrong with this picture.

Comment

Actually when I purchased my dad's farm we put in the sale that I must pay him a salary for an additional three years as part of the sale agreement. Then I fired him half way through the first year on account of dissagreements on management. And paid him and mom the salary anyway as that was the agreement. My dad still alive and jokes to me getting fired was the best thing ever. Just thought I would share.

Comment

So it would be a good clause to put in those farm sale agreements? That's why I find it interesting.

Comment

I would like to know how Schmidt handles his tax implications and what they actually are.

Other than that some group should start to raise a stink and get this sale blocked. The Potash Corp sale to BHP had a lot of support as a lot of Canadians enjoyed a lot of stock appretiation on POT. I think the sale should get blocked.

Comment

I will state this again and people can judge it accordingly.

Does it not seem odd that 45 per cent of Canada's grain handling is only worth 5.5 billion?

Meanwhile the cwb friends want 15 plus billion from the feds and they had no assets.

It seems Mayo and friends have undervalued a company that should be competing to buy out those that are trying to steal Viterra.

Keep it a global canadian company.

Comment

One point some of that 5.5 billion is Aussie assets.

Comment

Thank you, I had forgot about that. It makes the deal sound too cheap.

Rumours are that cargill's interested as well but that may not pass the competition smell test.

Comment

ajl, you actually didn't think any of this was about shareholders making money did you?

Comment

15 billion represents lost sales.
                      Viterra is only a grain handling company,
                      without a marketing arm or at best an
                      undeveloped one. So its net worth is sizable less
                      then the overall worth of western Canadian
                      grain marketing.
                      Compare apples to apples.

Comment

Just curious what sales the CWB can't make now that they say could only be made with the sinle desk?

Comment

i suppose when the lawyer looks at what Cargill is willing to ship CWB grains for maybe we will have to pay 15 billion in back expenses.

Comment

I just pointed out the difference in value
                            between a company which both handles and
                            markets grain.
                            You seem to not understand the difference
                            between the 15 billion and the 5 something
                            billion values.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...