• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE PROBLEMS WITH NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD REGULATED PIPELINES ON YOUR PROPERTY??????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE PROBLEMS WITH NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD REGULATED PIPELINES ON YOUR PROPERTY??????

This post is to "renew the discussion" of the "plight" landowners experience when new large diameter pipelines under NEB REGULATION are "forced" on farmer/ranchers property by "right of Entry Order"

Many landowner groups are rallying and collectively reaching our across the country. Until the Issue of Pipeline abandonment with "0" risk to the landowner and complete removal of the rotten steel from agriculture land that there should be NO MORE PIPELINES CONSTRUCTED IN CANADA UNTIL these important issues are addressed.

Under NEB regulation Section 112 of the NEB act puts farming restrictions over your property, It puts control zones extending beyond the easement to the point that your neighbors land is in the control zone. Pipelines have totally devalued the homesteads add properties of land they cross.

Farmers/Ranchers and landowners are teaching others the struggle each of them experienced as they try to protect their rights at certificate hearings in front of the National Energy Board.

THE BOOK "NO RIGHT OF WAY" by the Late Peter Lewington in the 79s, 80s and 90s have laid the ground work for all landowners to follow.

Enclosed on this thread is another struggle from a young lady and her husband that "lost their case" in front of the NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD certificate hearing for the Vantage Pipeline proposed in southern Saskatchewan.

How many more victums of landowners before proper change and fairness to pipeline construction across Agriculture lands.

Dear Ms. Habib, Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Vergette:
    In response to your decision to approve the Vantage pipeline, I am very disappointed. It is a decision that I should have been expecting, given your history of 100% approval, but it was disappointing nonetheless.
    When I read: "With respect to the request by TELC/CAEPLA for the Board to stay its decision until landowners and Vantage have signed mutually acceptable agreements, the Board notes that Vantage and TELC/CAEPLA have initiated consultations and that both parties have committed to continuing these discussions. The Board further notes that even though a final agreement was not reached, Vantage committed to upholding all terms previously agreed upon between it and TELC/CAEPLA." I had to laugh out loud. I have attached for you the last email we received from David Schmunk in regards to negotiations. I think you will be able to clearly see for yourselves that Vantage has no intention of "upholding all terms previous agreed upon" as they are already reneging on certain conditions that had been previously agreed upon.
    Your requirement to have Vantage "create and maintain records to track Project-related landowner complaints or concerns and how they have been addressed" is worthless. It is essentially the self-policing that has been in place throughout the process to date. Vantage's complaint system has given me 3 in-person apologies from David Schmunk for what his land agents have said about me and my family, but none of his land agents have ever been instructed to set the record straight with those who have been misinformed. I guess I should feel better now that Vantage will be required to write it down. That will make a world of difference, I'm sure.
    I also would like to express my disappointment that there is no obligation for Vantage to inform or compensate any of the "across the road" landowners who will be burdened by the NEB safety zone. The route that you have approved (one which parallels roads and road allowances) without a comprehensive study will affect many landowners who did not even have the opportunity (and I use this term loosely) to attend the certificate hearing and have their concerns heard. These people will now, legally, be obligated to obtain permission from Vantage Pipeline (a private company) to conduct activities on their own land. They have not entered into any agreement with Vantage and have not even been contacted. This was brought to your attention at the NEB hearing. You are part of the NEB board, it is your regulation that will be affecting these landowners and you have done nothing to inform them.
    Additionally, it is nothing short of cowardly that you refuse to deal with abandonment at the onset of a project. Rather you approve this project with no real plan for abandonment, but you try to make it sound like something is in place with statements such as the following: "..the NEB would provide potentially affected parties an opportunity to make their concerns known to the Board in order to ensure their comments are taken into account when assessing the abandonment application.". Really? Because, all of the landowners who will be affected by the safety zone in this application have been completely disregarded. And, the proposed route for this pipeline was not even finalized prior to approval. To date, many landowners still do not know if the Vantage pipeline is intended for their property. Given such, I don't think that the NEB can provide any assurance to "potentially affected parties" that their concerns will be taken into account. On the abandonment note, I again refer to David Schmunk's email. You can read for yourselves that he says that Vantage would not set aside a fund for removal of 20% of the pipe after abandonment unless the NEB directs them to do so. You did not direct them to do so. You approved the application in which they said they would be prepared to remove one (1) km of the pipe after abandonment. This is not exactly consistent with the 20% removal identified by the NEB in its abandonment funding documentation.

Finally, Jason and I can't wait for our children to have their own "opportunity to make their concerns known to the Board ", just like we had our opportunity in November 2011. I can only assume that their concerns will be similarly "taken into account" on that decision. I am sure they will look at it fondly when they are given no choice, receive no money and are told that they get to be the new owners of Vantage's old pipeline. At the very least, Jason and I can leave them copies of all the work we did (and there is hundreds of hours worth) at the onset of this project so that they can know that this pipeline is nothing we wanted them to inherit.
    By your decision, it is obvious that the burden and liability this pipeline will impose on landowners is not a real issue for the NEB. As such, I won't take up much more of your time, but I wanted you to know that this approval has unnecessarily compromised my family and our ranch. At the hearing, I said repeatedly that we would be willing to work with Vantage but we did not want to assume any of their liability. Now with this approval in place, no negotiated settlement, and right-of-entry legislation in place, we will be obligated to assume liability in regards to crossing the ROW and (most likely) post abandonment. So with that, Ms. Habib, Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Vergette, it was lovely meeting you, but I will look back at this with great bitterness, knowing that it was you, from your office in Calgary, who have made this decision. A decision that will impact us and our children for decades.
    Stephanie Fradette
    Lake Alma, SK

This kinda crap, is why Harper is building
    more prisons. They expect way more civil
    unrest in future, as they crack down on
    and get tough with Comedians. Their motto
    has always been, lockem up and throw away
    the key. Heil Harper.

Comment

I feel for her I've also known her angst and anger over city people putting our lands and family at complete disregard so they can continue to live in the 3500 sq foot homes on the west side of Calgary.

Comment

There has been a very significant scientific discovery recently as there is proof positive on the evolutionary scale regarding the "missing link". There is now living breathing evidence that the monkey has evolved into a NEB bureacrat. What is not evident is whether it is posible for one of these "creatures" to further evolve into a human tax paying Canadian that can add to the gross national product of the nation.

Comment

The pipelines that cross us are only part
          of a local inter-provincial system. So
          not part of the NEB. The whole situation
          with them is scary. We wonder what
          abandonment will look like. It will be
          our kids dealing with that if they stay on
          the farm. It's hard enough to make a go
          of it without having this additional risk.

Comment

So as an outsider looking in please explain what the
            problem is with the pipeline, you talk about liability but
            give no examples of what kind of liability there might be.

Is it all about pipeline abandonment. Will a corroding 100
            year old pipeline cause the land above or below it to be a
            barren wasteland, or will the soil be able to absorb it
            without any negative repercussions. Or is the problem with
            what is in the line at abandonment, do they not have the
            ability to satisfactorily clean the lines. Or is the
            problem with the potential to puncture the line if it is on
            your land.

Would there be a way for the pipeline company to satisfactorily alleviate all your concerns. I have no skin
            in this game and I am just trying to get an idea of what
            the actual problem is.

Comment

Wheatking,
              Prior to changes of the NEB Act in 1985, landowners were protected under that Act that read pipelines, upon abandonment, would be removed from the ground. This corresponds to the lack of clauses in earlier contracts and easement agreements between landowners and pipeline companies which would spell out what should happen upon abandonment (ie. removal upon abandonment). Landowners were clearly under the protection of the law and those rights were protected. Pipeline companies recognized the fact that their infrastructure was aging and didn't want to absorb (or pay) those costs to remove the pipes and soon in 1985, initiated by the pipeline companies, amendments to the Act allowed pipes to be abandonded in place. Further, the NEB considered abandonment costs as a part of a pipeline's useful life, to be tolled to the pipeline shippers,that is, those producers of oil who use the pipelines for the transportation of their liquid hydrocarbons and byproducts. The NEB then ignored significant evidence provided at hearings that landowners should bear no costs or liabilities for pipeline abandonment. The NEB then ruled that 80% of all pipe can be left in place and 20% should be removed upon abandonment, and considered this their base case assumption, but left the industry to determine what amount is applicable in their own circumstances. Enbridge has deviated from that base case and has asked for approval for abandonment funding purposes to remove only 0.6% of its approximately 8000kms of pipe. The documents comprising Enbridge's application can be found at: Physical Plans for Abandonment and Preliminary Costs Estimates at url https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/ll-eng/livelink.exe?func=ll&objId=765956&objAction=browse &redirect=3
              Further, the NEB proposes to amend the Onshore Pipeline Regulations, which governs pipeline construction and abandonment to remove the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act from its role of overseeing and protecting our great nation from pollution and usurp the environmental protections under the Act.
              Enbridge, if successful in its attempt for approval as noted above, could then request a Leave to Abandon from the board and then abandon its pipes and their respective liabilities onto the landowner of the lands. Should the NEB grant an order for Leave to Abandon the pipeline, it relinquinshes jurisdiction over the pipelines (and the pipelines cease to meet the definition of a pipeline under section 2 of the NEB Act) and the landowner and the pipes fall under provincial jurisdiction(under Manitoba law anyway) and is subject to The Contaminated Sites and Remediation Act which forces landowners to prove that there is no historical contamination. The only way to do this according to the Act is to remove the pipelines (now at the landowners expense.) I don't consider this fair and just. Lets speak up for fairness and justice. P.S. I am a landowner with 8 Enbridge pipelines across my property and can tell you that the NEB and Enbridge are methodically working to take away my rights. Your rights as well are compromised by the prospective removal of the CEA Act, and the inevitable socioeconomic and environmental calamities that will follow.

Comment

<a href="http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n523/kphaber/?action=view&current=SAPL2009003-1.jpg" target="_blank"></a>

Thankyou "fairness" to the very knowledgeable thread. Enclosed is a picture of the same pipelines that go through your property in Manitoba that goes through this irrigation area in the South Saskatchewan area.

Wheatking ---I hope this type of picture shows the extreme problems of pipelines on agriculture land. Problems are serious throughout the whole lifecycle of the Pipeline process.

1)Construction---lack of depth of cover, historical poor construction practices---not seperating soil horizons, mixing of top soil and subsoil, long time open trenches,weeds and poor crops over easement.

2)Operational time of the pipeline. Shallow pipe, weights and measure concerns when farming over the pipes with modern machinery, Landowner are liable if farm machinery operator crush line or someone is "killed" while operating over pipelines, Many integridy digs "collaring" corroded pipes with very minimal "payment for damages". hence section 112 of the NEB act is in play. Landowners have to contact pipeline company before operation over the pipelines.--each time.

3)End of life cycle of a pipeline. Once the cathodic protection is removed from the pipeline the steel enhances decaying.

Who wants buried "gas stations" on your agriculture land that you never put there, companies made "billions $$$" and now abandonment in place leaves the clean up and future concerns to the landowner title on the property.

Under "right of entry" intrusion if the landowner doesn't sign what companies offer ---"one time payment" of a few $$$ the pipe goes in the ground anyway without first resolving the important issues the landowner needs to protect his property rights.

Wheatking---regards with abandoment in place

1)Steel will heave to surface, major concern of pin hole leaks over the years of petroleum products contaminating the soil around the pipelines, Concern over continual crushing of large diameter pipes when farming over the lines with expensive machinery, and the biggy buried pipelines potential for becoming a conduit for underground water contamination onto neighbouring properties.

This was all evidence presented at the LMCI hearing in Calgary with the landowner groups at huge cost to landowners presenting expert technical witnesses with corrosion engineers at hearings before the NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD and Major Pipeline Companies.

Comment

NEB, friend of the current Conservative
                  gobermont, opposition, enviro groups,
                  anyone against more pipelines, are enemys
                  of the Comedian state....... More
                  prisons are hence a good thing in Comedia?

Comment

I wouldn't think that landowners are specifically opposed to the granting of easements for building pipelines. What they are opposed to however, is being treated unfairly by doing so, in the changing of rules and regulation once the pipelines are built.

Comment

fairness You have it right on. Why
                      are us farmers and landowners expected
                      to give up for the 'common good'.

We are supposed to put up with pipelines
                      and compressor stations, and venting
                      without complaining as it will be good
                      for the economy. There is very little
                      if any monitoring (ours are not NEB
                      lines though)and we get one small
                      payment and disruption when they put the
                      pipe in and when they dig it up. We had
                      a neighbor one place over that hit the
                      pipeline when he was plowing with a 90
                      horsepower tractor! That pipe
                      definitely was not down in the ground
                      far enough.

Comment

BURPERT

Have you heard about CAEPLA. Have you ever received one of CAEPLA'S Landowner Journal. Have you ever seen a CAEPLA booth at the Red Deer Show? Saskatoon Crop Show 2020 or the Canadian Western Agribition Show 2009 & 2010?

www.Caepla.org

About CAEPLA:

The Canadian Association of Energy and Pipeline Landowner Associations (CAEPLA) is Canada’s foremost and leading association of landowners who have a direct and ongoing interest in the way government and energy regulators define, and then influence, the relationships that exist between landowners and various aspects of the energy sector. CAEPLA's role is to advance the legitimate interests of landowners within the context of sustainable, responsible development that respects our stewardship responsibilities to protect land and water for future generations.

Comment

Couple of typo's Burbert

Saskatoon Crop Show 2010 not 2020.

CAEPLA ---remains pro-Industry development.

Mission statement summary:

About CAEPLA:

"Landowners for the responsible development of the energy industry in Canada"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...