• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commodity The Naughty and Nice Performance Lists.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approx:

1-bus of WHT = 100 loaves of bread

1-bus of barley = 300 bottles of beer

Comment

checking, sure farmgate prices are only a fraction of store prices on most commodities. Doesn't mean if wheat prices doubled that bakers or retailers would swallow the loss. Equally they can up the price in the store tomorrow without passing it back to the producer. Same happens to beef and to chicken and to milk.
      Actually if I remember right the 4 packs of bread we buy jumped from $3.99 to about $5.50 back in 08 was it when stories of food shortage hit the news and the price never came back down.

Comment

Fraser Institute was dated 2001.
        In 2000 US/L milk was $0.92USD.
        Can/L milk was $1.45CND.
        The present near parity of dollars means we pay 63% more for milk than the US and double world prices.
        We pay 145% more for cheese than US.
        Butter oil does not count as dairy, is imported from US keeping our butter cheaper.
        Quota costs are the problem.

Comment

Grassfarmer,

"Do you think the average consumer will differentiate between a perceived high price in the store as a result of supply management or as a result of your "marketing freedom"?"

WOW. Now you (and consumers by extension) will blame higher food costs on the lack of the CWB 'single desk' holding down livestock feed values.... in turn keeping down the cost of livestock products.

Sooo... now you trot out the justification of the CWB 'single desk' was really for cheap food... and that there will be a consumer revolt if we receive market value for our 'Board Grains'.

WOW..."Commodity The Naughty and Nice" I will go look for a lump of coal in my stocking... and put it in the stove to keep warm!!!

Strange... I have not heard that pulses... Canola oil... Corn... soybeans...
          Any of the 'nonboard open market' grains have be the subject of this consumer revolt you speak of.

Although Food Companies have made the case that ethanol has created more demand/competition... for human consumption food products...increasing the cost.

Actually this sounds like a 'slick' novel plan (to justify)the increased the costs of their food products...

But, in fact, the energy security issue in the US has a higher cost to those consumers... at ($4 minus $13/gallon ) = $9/gal... I heard quoted yesterday. US consumers clearly know that food costs are 'low' because the US exports much, 30-50percent, of its grains... NOW.

NOT SO WITH OIL/Energy. They import 30-50percent.

Two wrongs do not make the 'CWB single desk' Right Grassfarmer.

Perhaps you will find a nice delicious Cinnamon roll in your Agriville stocking this morning from Santa...?

Ho Ho Ho...

Merry Christmas!

Comment

TOM, It wasn't me that introduced the idea of a consumer revolt over high food prices it was fjlip. I was telling him/her the idea of a revolt on milk prices is bogus as it just isn't happening.
            The question I asked (which fjlip is dodging) had nothing to do with the CWB. I could equally have used the price of canola oil. I believe the vast majority of consumers have not enough interest or knowledge to differentiate between a higher price due to supply management or other factors.
            Now tell the consumer there is a health concern with their products and that's a different matter - they are all ears.
            Price - not a big deal for the vast majority of Canadian shoppers - milk and dairy products are a staple in the diet and most see them that way and pay the price asked willingly.

Comment

Grassfarmer,

Thanks for proving my point.

" products are a staple in the diet and most see them that way and pay the price asked willingly..."

Hence a fair price paid for our grains... for a safe secure supply... is in the best interests of everyone.

Clearly the Canola marketing system proves itself as the best at predicting both supply and demand... as both these are; stable affordable and profitable... all at the same time.

Transparent... and Canola marketing provides for all our needs. Canola Volatility is minimised... providing the best working supply value chain.

Comment

People pay them willingly - unless they live within an hours drive of a US border town, and then they willingly buy their meat, cheese, and milk down there.

Wasn't the food safety issue brought up late in the year as the wheat board and their "partners" fought to hang on to their power position? Which partners were pushing this talking point?

Funny thing though, I don't read a lot in the news of mass recalls and sickness from the US grain industry. They are probably suppressing it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...