• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed prices.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed prices.

Canola seed is not cheap anymore but did not change alot from last year, still getting to be a big bill now.

If you want to see gouging at it's best - seed corn in the U.S.went from $140-150/bag - 2.5 ac /bag or so last year, To a staggering $220-230/bag early pay now. Add that to 20% increase in Machinery, 50% increase in fert and land rents way up - and it could be a disaster if shtf - but they would be covered for a big chunk of that with programs - no??

Makes you wonder if they will actually plant them intended corn acres. Can't they brown bag it a little? Perhaps they are somehow guaranteed that profit, what happened to Obama wanting to stop paying million dollar checks to millionair farmers?

Comment

I am not sure but inputs at that level in a business that is 80% weather dependant is getting extreemly risky. Bad enough here in Western Canada. Good thing interest rates are low.
      Going to be an interesting year again.

Comment

I wouldn't mind spending $88/ac for seed, IF I could get the 200bus/ac corn yields those guys get too.

By my calculations Corn seed at that price accounts for only 7% of gross revenue. My Canola on the other hand runs at 9% of expected gross. So I would consider $220 seed corn a bargain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...